Eaton ultrashift really slow at take off? First 5 gears

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by mixingconcrete, Apr 19, 2021.

1. mixingconcrete

mixingconcrete Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2019
    But would you say the ultrashift is pretty slow at take off and at intersections causes a whole bunch of traffic to stack behind because of it shifting so slow or is that just our truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Sounds like you need to trade it in for a manual.

4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Exactly what model do you have and what are specs on truck? I don't think they are that much slower vs manual, just driver doesn't have a stick to move or have to concentrate on shifting so it seems very slow.

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  5. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I drive a t880. It is extremely slow. When I’m at a green light sometimes it takes so long to acellerate/shift that I’ll be the only one who makes it thru the light.

I’ve also driven t680s with an auto and manual. (Both same year) the manual seemed much faster than the automatic. I’ve had many people pass me and flip me off in the automatic.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  6. mixingconcrete

Apr 14, 2019
    its a concrete mixer truck. Its sucks having this transmission in a mixer because its not really smooth at slow speeds. And slow speeds is what this truck actually does the most of when discharging concrete

7. mixingconcrete

Apr 14, 2019
    i guess im not the only one then . I have car sometimes honk at me because of how slow it when going through a intersection. I talked to another company that has these transmissions and they say they start out at 4th gear when empty and 2nd when loaded. Helps a little when empty but for us mixer drivers that would mean we have to switch it couple times a day

8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Mine was real slow a couple of times last week at take off. Like the clutch was taking its time engaging.
    Turns out that’s exactly what it was. When I greased the truck this weekend, I opened the plastic cover to look at the through out bearing, a bunch of rivets fell out. One of the two clutch discs was coming apart.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.