ECM

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by himulogistics, Apr 25, 2017.

1. himulogistics

himulogistics Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2017
    i was wondering if i can get some help going over this ECM report its for a truck that i'm considering purchasing any info would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

• ecm.pdf
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It shows a trip of 77 miles in a hour and half roughly. Some of it was in traffic for about 25 minutes. It only shows a short over 65mph speed and hardly anything else. That trip was probably empty, the numbers do not indicate any particular effort made by the engine.

There is nothing in it that stands out, if I understand ECM's there should be a level deeper where it keeps the numbers for the life of the vehicle, not just the last trip taken. I was able to access my ECM with FFE in 2001 and understood for example how many hours it worked, and how much fuel it went through for the time we had it (Around 10 months etc) you can gain a better understanding of what was possible with that kind of data. And especially any codes it might ever had during it's life time where possible. Otherwise the information should be kept and stored in the home shop library for that vehicle on the shelf under it's unit number by the current owner. Look in that book and you will see all the repair work done to it since the owner got it.

Another secret is to access the ECM's total time on the engine, sometimes ECM's go bad and are replaced. I remember EcKmiller replaced the ECM on my N11 volvo one weekend after it went bad. The trick was I never shut it off and saved them from having to call out a wrecker for what would have been a totally needlessly expensive dead truck call. The ECM had fried without anyone's knowledge and the engine was running on air breathing without computer oversight and was thirsty on fuel. Which was one of the reasons it was at the shop there that weekend.

Ronnie kept such a book on the FLD in my avatar, that truck had two front end work done and several alternators replaced as routine. Nothing in it's history stood out in the 8 years he had it before I got assigned it. My gripes was a bad worn drivers seat and a new matress along with a set of 10 new tires for the tractor to zero everything for me prior to heading out. He was more than happy to do it I think the seat was a thousand, the tires about 5 and the matress a couple hundred if that. I handeled everything else. Later during my time with it, it developed a cooling temp issue that cause the computer to quit. It was later traced to a corroded sensor inside the engine block no one wanted to take time to pull out and put in a new one. They finally did. That restored the reliability.

IF you are wanting to know a truck, find the shop manual. There should inside of it contain it's life's story.

4. himulogistics

himulogistics Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Thanks for the info ...greatly appreciated

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That's not the report you want, that's just a trip report, you need an ECM dump with everything in the ECM.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I bet the OP won't be back to get the news that it is just a trip report and actually doesn't even come close to what he needs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.