Economic crash worse than in 2008?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DUNE-T, May 11, 2020.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

I know I did. It sounds like you did too.
    I almost got caught out in '08 with a heavier debt structure than I ever should have had. Pure laziness and bad managing on my part. I dumped some stuff I didn't need and squeaked through but it was tight. I'll never over extend myself like that again.
    I believe whats coming at us now is going to be worse.
    But there's a lot of people on here who weren't involved in trucking in 2008. They're seeing things happen that they never figured on and sometimes don't have the tools or the knowledge to work their way through.
    A lot of people...drivers, owners, owner/operators... are going to lose everything they have.

Nietzsche said "Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger"
    Well, screw Nietzsche...he's never around when you need him.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    lynchy, Lite bug, Deere hunter and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Personally I think alot of people in this country need to learn a little humility and I don't know of a better way than a depression... Complete with soup and bread lines. Not that I really want to see it get that bad, but it sure would humble alot of folks.

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Maybe so. But it could also tip them the other way. I wouldn't want to be standing between a man with hungry children and the food supply.
    Maybe you're right and maybe the adults need a little attitude adjustment...but the little kids don't.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    BoostedTeg, snowwy, Big_D409 and 11 others Thank this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    The last couple months have been depression like for sure. I don't share the doom and gloom for the future though. I think next year is going to be great. It may just take 4 to 6 months to get back going. This is assuming there isn't a second wave of Corona. If that comes it'll be very hard.

6. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    IT's not bad for every one the real estate business nation wide is booming from people I have talking with, first a shortage of existing homes for sale partly because people don't want strangers in their house has caused prices to shoot up and new home sales are strong with people wanting bigger yards and pools so more room if stuck at home. Of course this is driven by low interest rates but we are still busy building them I don't know how long this can last I am just hopping that the pent up demand causes a boom everyone can partake of.

The other side everyone talks about is how bad 08,09,10 was, I parked 2 of my 3 trucks had 1 part time driver I started working with my brother flipping homes and apartments I learn a lot but hated the business but I made decent money and got by until things picked up.

7. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    The human tendency towards denial of what is happening right in front of them is fascinating.

I remember watching a video of the Las Vegas shooting where a girl who was crying kept repeating over and over that the noise of shots was just fireworks even though she was surrounded by the evidence of people who were shot right in front of her.

Give a prediction about what you think will happen and you’ll will run up against other people in denial who will want to bicker endlessly why you’re wrong. Don’t predict in words. Prepare in actions.

8. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    2008/2009 were some of the best summers of my life, loads kept cancelling so i went camping, didnt actually find out about a recession untill years later, guess i was as clueless as the amish, but if ive learned anything the real estate crash of 2008 was known about by many before it ever happened, just like 9/11 and the virus, the good news for all of us is we can prepare for the next economy crash somewhere around 2030, if the ponzi scheme holds up untill then. "wherever there is a human being there is an opportunity for a crisis "

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Deere hunter and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’m just gonna say it up front, I have a mind that leans “conspiracy” so take my comments with a grain of salt. That said I think something bigger is at play with all of this. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of this virus and I don’t think it came about naturally. I think there will be multiple waves of it over the next several years. I don’t think it yielded its intended affects yet.

Who knows where all this leads, but those thinking this is just going to be a bounce back recession? I’m sorry, I think what we’ve already done will cause another depression in this country. We haven’t even begun to see the outcome of what shutting this country down for six months Will do. About 50% of Americans work in the service industry and we completely closed it and probably about half of those service industry businesses are not going to come back or will fail over the next 12 months. That’s completely unprecedented. You don’t just replace those jobs overnight it takes years and years and years to do that.

We are in completely uncharted waters and it’s going to get far worse before it gets better.

10. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    at times like these we have to remember that years ago the "experts" said it was ok to smoke in a hospital and asbestos and lead paint were harmless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.