Edited TQL confirmation

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Sonny B, Sep 1, 2023.

1. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Your company MAY be fudging the numbers, but not necessarily. I'll tell you what happened to me 3 days ago.

I was picking up a load in Omaha, NE. When I went to sign in at the shipper, looking at the log, I saw another truck going to the same town I was going to. The p/u number was similar to mine. So I figured it was the same load. There were two other trucks with the same load, but they had already left. But this one truck was left. So I went outside to go talk to the driver. I just wanted to dig for info to make sure I didn't get lowballed on the rate. I asked him if he was an owner/op. He said that he wasn't. So I figured I'd ask anyway. I asked him who brokered the load to them. He replied, and it was the same broker (they are HUGE) who had tendered me. So I asked him how much they got for the load. He replied, "$1200." I just stayed quiet and thanked him. I had gotten $2000 for the exact same load going to the exact same receiver. So I was making over a dollar more per mile.

I thought about telling him, because in the end, people hauling cheap isn't good for any of us. But he was also a competitor. And I also didn't want to maybe start a crap storm and get the broker pissed off at me. So I thought discretion would be best.

So maybe your company is getting bent over by TQL without realizing it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sonny B

Sonny B Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2023
    About a year. Rates seemed to be much higher last winter when I started driving for them

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    There are a few variables for what brokers pay out. TQL is typically pretty bad about low balling in the beginning of the week, but when it doesn't move, they will be more open to paying more. They also have multiple brokers trying to cover some loads, which ends up with one calling and offering one rate, then later another person calls with a different rate on the same lane.

If your company is not taking advantage of you by swindling you on pay, they are taking advantage of you by not valuing your time.

Lite bug, Siinman and Sonny B Thank this.
  5. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    $500 for a reefer load :eek:
    Killing whole day just in docks.

I'd call TQL give them load number and say please send me rate confirmation.
    If they refuse tell them you won't pick up load unless they send you rate confirmation directly.

Sonny B and Sons Hero Thank this.
  6. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    That's not going to help anything, TQL isn't going to care. The issue is between the driver and the company they work for.

7. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Helps the OP see if he's getting cheated

8. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    I wouldn't go across the street for $500 with a reefer.
    Whole day is killed in docks.
    As bad a TQL is I think OP got photoshopped by carrier.
    Has happened to me before.

9. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    TQL is not going to give it to him, so if he refuses the load, his company is going to wonder what is going on. They might as well have just skipped the TQL dialogue and went directly to the carrier with their issue. Either way, TQL nor their carrier is likely to give them any more indication that they're being cheated than they already have.

The posturing might make someone feel better about themselves, but isn't going to get them any closer to getting the answers they want.

10. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    If pressure is put on them they will cave.
    Just say a few minutes before appointment I need rate con now from you TQL or I'm not picking up load or at very least tell me what load pays because I am on percentage.

11. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    With low rates now I suspect more companies paying percent will photoshop rates to their drivers as the company trys to survive.

Just like companies with company trucks and owner operators will leave the owner operators to starve and give what's left of loads to their own company trucks.

All this comes more to light during hard times.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.