EGR Problems on 2016 Prostar

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by EdKay, Jul 27, 2019.

1. EdKay

EdKay Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2019
    Hey guys!
    I’ve had my truck for over 3months now with absolutely no problems whatsoever, until recently. Out of nowhere it sort of derated to 60mph and the rpms weren’t going anywhere beyond 1300! Took it to Rush Truck Center in ATL and they diagnosed it as a failed EGR Valve. 3days and $2800 later, it was fixed and everything was back to normal....at least for 20hours! I woke up and found a flowing river, courtesy of my coolant and it was dripping like it came straight from a Tap! Looked like it was leaking from around the motor area. Took it back to Rush, and before I even got there, the leakage had ceased! Some technician looked at it but couldn’t seem to find anything wrong, after pumping into the coolant tank(excuse my layman terms, I’m still a new O/O)
    So, their conclusion was, “the new EGR valve is working as it should be, so, the rest of the fittings on the EGR Coolant can’t handle the flow. Long story short, now I apparently need a new EGR cooler, and a bunch of other things that might set me behind another $5-6k!
    The leak hasn’t happened again but I’m driving on egg shells right now! Can anyone kindly make me understand what could be happening?
    The engine is a NAVISTAR N13, last 6 of Vin#201329.
    Thanks in advance Truckers!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    They have to take a lot apart at the back of the engine to replace an egr valve. So during the repair, something didn't seal right or a line they reused let go. Something like that. I'm not pointing fingers or trying to blame or support anyone either. Anytime something is taken apart and reassembled, there is a chance of something leaking when lines get reused.

4. EdKay

EdKay Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2019
    Thank you for your reply Heavyd! I truly appreciate! Those were my thoughts exactly but they weren’t willing to take a closer look at loose hoses or something like that. The only way The would do that was to have me leave the truck for a few days so they can do a new diagnosis. My coolant hasn’t leaked again, although my truck has been running all day. I don’t know the coolant leaks after the engine is shut down for a while or something.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I would say you have a small split in a hose or seal somewhere that is just able to hold pressure and not leak until a certain point. The system was totally full of coolant at the time and pressure pushed the coolant out of the weakest spot and now that the level has found a neutral point and you have a bit more in the reservoir, the leak has stopped because air is compressible.

6. Goods carrier inc

Goods carrier inc Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2020
    May be coolant comes from overflow pipe .after pressure extra coolant push out through overflow pipe which goes under between radiator and motor.

7. Kbhairo

Kbhairo Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Someone please help me international prostar 2016 with Cummins

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.