ELD and inspection.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by MOBee, Dec 11, 2020.

1. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    My company has taken away the ability to write in any inspection issues on the pretrip. You can pencil whip it and state that everything is fine or you can't start your day. When asked why they did this, they said they wanted any issues fixed before starting the day. Is this legitimate?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    In reality? Why would you drive with violations or safety issues on the equipment anyway?

ZVar, snowwy and Roberts450 Thank this.
  4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Given that a pre trip inspection is on duty time, and with an ELD that means you start the clock and then do your inspection, and that is where you find the defects, note them, and if they would likely affect the safety or reliability of the vehicle you then decide whether to leave on your run.
    Your company is doing an illegal end run with this requirement. And if they were stupid enough to put it in writing, a call to a regional DOT office will answer the question with authority.

gentleroger and MOBee Thank this.
  5. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Sometimes seeing something in print clears away the clouds. Looking at my post as an non-involved party brings into focus as to what my next step should be. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    If you do a post trip when you stop at the end of your on duty time you will avoid unpleasant surprises. It is not illegal to take a walk before you start your shift. What you look at and where you walk is up to you.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I almost always look my rig over before I start my clock to find anything that may need repaired. This makes it so I avoid starting my clock and then finding something that I cant fix and end up wasting hours of my clock while waiting for repairs. If I dont find anything wrong I log a pre-trip while I have a smoke and coffee.

D.Tibbitt and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    False. The regulation:
    On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:

(2) All time inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time;

gentleroger and ZVar Thank this.
  9. MTN Boomer

Feb 4, 2019

10. MTN Boomer

Feb 4, 2019
    How do you know what I an looking at. Starting the truck up is not on duty. The E log records it but I don 't change duty, taking a walk while off duty or walking by the truck on the way in to get coffee is not on duty.

SGT. Super Slab Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What is illegal and what you can get away with are two separate things. You claimed it's not illegal. That's simply incorrect and the regs were posted. Now will you ever get caught, or is it even an issue? I'd say no it's not, but that doesn't change the fact it is illegal as per the regs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.