ELD Exemption for single truck operations?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by LandslideRich, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    You also forget that even though he logged out those miles and time that he spent driving around looking are all tracked. When the driver logs back in he has to acknowledge that time and either accept it to his logs or deny it. However those minutes or hours are not forgotten, they must be accounted for. Many companies will just log that time as maintenance time, however when audit time comes, the auditor very well could want to verify the maintenance logs for that time, and if it's not able to be verified, then the company will get a log violation

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    They're working on that too.

4. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    My question to you is, just how long have you been driving semis, and how many miles have you logged??

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I think the winning argument is.

Being so close to your destination. And yet. So far. Because the boss is making you spend the night before you can drive that extra 5 minutes.Specially if your going home.

OR

You're parked in the boonies because the boss made you park. And the reason you can't go any further. Is because the roads got tied up for whatever reason. Eating up your 14 going nowhere.

The cowboy way is the best way. I"m not here to be enslaved. I"m here to make money. And i be darned if i spending the night where i don't want or didn't plan to be.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    BoostedTeg, EZ Money and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Reference?

Statistics are by definition suspect. For example, if the statistics are quoted as accidents per driver, the drop in the accident rate is likely to be virtually identical to the drop in miles driven when going from paper to ELD's. Leaving the accident rate per mile unchanged.

It would not surprise me to see that inexperienced drivers on ELD's are safer. Newbies have not learned yet what is wise and what is not. Old hands know their limitations, and know what workd. Old hands make a choice very frequently to be EITHER safe or legal.

HOS compliance simply does not equal safety. You can run safely out of compliance, and you can run safely compliant. To imply that there is some magic safety fairy dust in the HOS rules is, well, bureaucratic ivory tower academic group think.

7. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Dang right Snowwy!.....Been driving since 1981,I know my limits.I have never had an accident and don't need some freaking box on the dash holding my ##### hand!

8. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I've violated hos to get to my destination several times. Usually needing an extra 10 or 15 minutes, never been written up, never tried to hide it, and upon arrival always send in a message saying why. Always immediately go for my 10 after arrival. Never an issue.

peterd Thanks this.
  9. Mike Doyle

Mike Doyle Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2017
    There's pro's and cons to both sides of this argument and all opinions here are valid. If you're a safe driver, then that's all that matters on the road. ELD's aren't going to stop an accident from happening. Accidents will happen regardless of how time is documented. Undoubtedly there are corporations and insurance companies cashing in on the upcoming mandate, but there wouldn't be any grounds for an ELD at all besides that corporation "cash in" if there wasn't a safety concern. Again, most truck drivers know what they're doing and drive better than anyone on the highway, but there are thousands out there that give grounds for ELDs to walk on, and therefore make a mandate like this pushed on everyone. I honestly think that there's not much difference between the 2 in the end (beyond price), except for making it easier for roadside officials and Carriers to determine where you've been and when. Sure there's ways to falsify both if you try hard enough and no one's looking, but a DOT Investigation will find all of that if you're unfortunately selected as one of the drivers to meet their auditing quota. Paper logs are easy to manage time and it's something we're all used to. ELDs you push a few buttons and manage nearly the same way. It may be frustrating managing the clock for pick-ups and loads at first, but otherwise its really easy to manage. There are plenty of free Apps out there that are user friendly. Toy with a few on your smart phone at stops, if you have one. On BigRoad, you just press a green button for stops and goes, and it pretty much calculates the rest.

I'm not an activist for ELDs. I really don't care either way. But the Mandate for ELDs is December 2017. You might want to just make peace with it, because paper logs are soon to be only used when an ELD malfunctions.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  10. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    The backup being something people either will be no longer used to using or will have never learned how to use to begin with. That'll work out great.

Bean Jr., EZ Money and snowwy Thank this.
  11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Truth! An example I like to give about being compliant and unsafe is; local driver starts and finishes at 6:00. His buddy calls him and tells they need a designated driver, and seeing as he drives, he won't drink. An added insentive is that Lisa's sister is in town and needs a date. He goes and doesnt drink, and takes Lisa's sister home, and wakes up at 5:00 to go to work, with about 2 hours sleep. 100% compliant, because he is off duty, 100% unsafe!

Driver 2 is OTT. He gets to truck stop at 7:45 pm, and does a 15 minute post trip. He has dinner and a shower. He too wakes up at 5:00 getting 8 hours of sleep. He has breakfast, does a pretrial and is ready to go at 5:45. If he used his 11 hours driving, he is now in violation.

The second scenario, the driver is well rested, but because he jumped the gun, he isn't compliant. Some might argue the first guy isn't either, but if the guy is not working, he is off duty. No will say that guy is safe, but strictly speaking, he is compliant. And that is what ELDs are, they are strictly speaking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.