ELD Gremlins?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by d281833, Sep 11, 2018.

1. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    So was getting this air bag check light coming on the dash, took it in to Volvo and they've informed me it's this omnitracs IVG unit. All sensors are fine, when they unplug it the codes disappear, plug it back in, they show up again. I've noticed as well fault codes for the instrument cluster occurring at like 3 in the morning when the truck is shut off and not running. Anyone else noticed these gremlins with these things?

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ashtre

ashtre Light Load Member

May 9, 2016
    I have with my rand mcnally tnd in my 2015 volvo. Once in a while i get abs, traction control, and hill assist lights illuminated randomly while driving.

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  4. d281833

May 15, 2012
    Update -
    Took it in today to an Omnitracs shop, apparently these plug n' play harnesses have more wires then needed in certain applications with certain trucks. After this thing doing a firmware update recently, it played havoc with whatever it wasn't supposed to be connected with and threw these codes. The tech connected everything properly - theoretically, and codes disappeared. Sooo, we'll see. Also said trying to get Omnitracs to admit it has to do with their firmware update is an exercise in frustration. He's had 7 IVG units come into the shop in 2 days.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  5. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    You able to adjust when the omnitrac puts you on driving as an o/O?
    For example my last company had it set @ 1 mile traveled or when i was going over 30mph. Not saying rigged for cheating, it came in handy when I was driving around at a shipper receiver without it kicking me on drive time.

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I've had similar problems with Omnitracks and Freightliner.

Just odd crazy stuff that went away when the Omnitracks was un plugged or when a shop would hook into the diagnostic port to diagnose the problem.

Loss of power, collision mitigation system wouldn't cooperate with the cruise, stability control was way too temperamental. There was a lot of lag in the computer system.

I pulled my hair out with them trying to find out what was wrong. The only thing I got was "it's not possible for it to interfere with the ECM or anything else" It's Designed to prevent any of that.

You were lucky to find a shop that could think about what was happening.

7. d281833

May 15, 2012
    Yeah this shop I’ve used before when qualcomm was the thing of the day. He told me all kinds of crazy stuff that was happening. It’s the harness, especially the plug and play. If an experienced installer hard wires it in, he should only connect what is needed for that specific brand of truck. If you’re getting any type of wacky codes, unplug that thing from the data port and see what happens.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.