ELD Rule Exemption Hypothetical

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by WadeH, Feb 7, 2020.

1. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    A manufacturing company mostly uses a contract carrier to ship its product. But it has a few leased semi rigs that it operates regularly in interstate commerce under its own motor-carrier-of-property authority. These leased rigs are ELD compliant and operated only by properly credentialed CDL drivers.

This company also has a 2008, class 7, 33,000 GVWR flatbed straight truck that it owns outright (not leased), but that is also not ELD equipped. The company is careful to make sure it is used only for 'local' deliveries that are less than 100 air-miles away.

The straight truck is driven by a few different employees who work at the plant and who have their CDL B and medical card. When these drivers use this truck, they take with them a bill of lading, they return to the plant within 12 hours, they keep a paper log book and they complete pretrip and post-trip forms.

The company acknowledges that it is a motor carrier that is required to use ELD's. But it argues that since none of the drivers of that 2008 truck are required to use ELD's there is no legal requirement to equip it with an ELD.

The company tells the drivers that if the vehicle is pulled over by DOT, to just show the inspector the BOL and tell the inspector that they are an exempt local driver, and that their records are kept at the plant; also show the inspector their log book and any other information that is requested. The company tells the driver that they will not be placed out of service nor cited for operating a 2000 or newer vehicle without an ELD.

Is the company correct?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The only possible issue I can see is the 12 hours. It has to be 12 hours from coming on duty, not just 12 driving. For example they can work an 8 hour shift on the floor, but then can only drive for 4 more hours.

Everything else sounds correct though. Heck, they can even go over the 12 hours or the 100 air miles 8 days in 30 and still not need an ELD.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Bean Jr., brian991219 and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  4. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I'll have to re-read the regs, but under the 100 air mile rule, drivers don't need to keep logs, that's accomplished by the office's timesheets.

Where I'm fuzzy at is if it's ok to keep a logbook under the exemption. And if it is, couldn't it just be confusing to a DOT that's used to locals with just a DVIR book & everyone else with ELDs?

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    100 air miles? To and from origin? No logs no nothing needed. You can run 24/7 if you had robot employees that never sleep or eat. //satire...

There is a dividing line between a vehicle needing ELD etc and one that does not.

Your company is smart, they know whats possible using that 100 mile rule.

I would hate to see truckers be fully HOS and electronically monitored to the minute delivering somewhere 50 miles away and return in a few hours for the day. Even though there are times I have had that happen in my own full Class A trucking etc.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You can keep a log book in the truck but because the driver doesn't have to log, the ELD requirement exemption doesn't exist because the requirement doesn't apply to this situation.

Pretrip and other requirements don't need to be met, unless the truck and driver goes across state lines for an occasional trip.

brian991219 and npok Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    X1 you can't run 24/7, all states don't allow that, you have a limited drive time and unlimited work hours with drive time returning after 10 hours of off duty time with no other employment activities.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Can you explain the dividing line for me? I know that § 395(a)(1)(i) reads that "...a motor carrier operating commercial motor vehicles must install ... an ELD..." I haven't run across any citation (yet) that would exempt the company in the above hypothetical from the requirement that it must install such an ELD in their straight truck -- even if it is never to be used by a driver.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Look at the next line...

(iii)(A) A motor carrier may require a driver to record the driver's duty status manually in accordance with this section, rather than require the use of an ELD, if the driver is operating a commercial motor vehicle:

Followed by several ways to not need an ELD.
    Basically if you need to graph log 8 days or less in any 30 or no log (timecard) or a year 2000 engine, or a drive a way operation you don't need an ELD.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  10. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    These exemptions seem to apply to how the carrier manages the driver, but does the fact that the driver may be exempted from using an ELD also exempt the carrier from installing an ELD in a vehicle? I guess I'm not understanding the relationship between a driver being exempted from using an ELD and the carrier being required to install an ELD in a 2000 or newer commercial vehicle.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I think you are simply reading too much into it. If an ELD isn't required to be used, it isn't required to be installed. Even if it's not specifically spelled out, and I read it as it is, the guidance makes it very clear if it's not required, it's not required.

ELD - ELD - FAQ Learn More

brian991219 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.