ELD Speed Violations

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by maffy95, Mar 21, 2019.

1. maffy95

maffy95 Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2012
    NYC
    I have a small fleet signed on to a carrier and about 3 weeks ago safety started sending out Qcalm messages indicating that the driver is speeding. After the second message safety then says that the driver needs to call. Upon calling driver is informed that their truck has been flagged for speeding and they need to slow down. My trucks are all governed for 70mph.

So I call to find out what the deal is and here is the explanation; drivers are not allowed to speed at all and the computer will notify safety everytime the driver goes 5 over the speed limit. Down hill, passing another slower moving truck doesnt matter... its right lane and speed limit only. The penalty is a training class at drivers expense and then dismissal. I can forsee losing some drivers which at this time are hard to replace, these are very safe drivers.

Can anyone help with this? Any ideas... yes i know slow down... but that is not just the answer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tell your carrier that any further notices will require them to attend a truck driver training course at their expense, and then any further notices will result in dismissal.

4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    These are not law enforcement citations but your carrier policies.
    Deal with it on your own.

86scotty, PE_T, Opendeckin and 4 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If the trucks are governed at 70 and they are speeding beyond, then it's downgrade mountain stuff using that Georgia Overdrive. Or my favorite scify term "Gravity drive... oooo..."

Fire em. Instantly beyond say 75. Pull the entire fleet in to the conference room, feed everyone dinner have the last payroll checks ready and fire those drivers speeding very publicly. Then deal with the debate, arguement and positions taken by everyone else some for speeding and others who are doing 70 or less.

You might learn theres damage inflicted onto your drivers by dispatchers foistering a culture of fear and hatred threats to fire for being late, threats to action for violating ELD etc. Sometimes your company has gotten so toxic no wonder your drivers are doing the things they are doing. Get it all stopped, fire the necessary company people publicly within your entire company in the conference.

Hopefully after this day of the long knife your company WILL pull together and settle down now that everyone without fail knows which way the wind is going.

KB3MMX and tucker Thank this.
  6. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I was hooked at RIGHT LANE ONLY.
    How can a QCOMM know if you hit the left lane ?

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Before that happens you should have done your own job to keep your drivers from speeding. And yes slowing down is the answer. If your drivers can't manage what millions of other drivers manage to do they don't need to be driving.
    And anyway I bet if you actually got around to reading your contract it's in there. You might want to do that before something else comes up and surprises you.

PE_T and roshea Thank this.
  8. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Everything has a price tag. You have a fleet and you have drivers and you give to another company to be responsible for your business ? what you expect??? Easy money ??? You like the title ? You want to be the owner of a fleet , act like one . Grow a pair and take care of it . put your own rules !!! Don’t put in your mouth more than what you can chew.

PE_T, roshea, Opendeckin and 4 others Thank this.
  9. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    Make sure that the QUALCOMM is up to date on the speed limit I noticed that our QUALCOMM is that we used with sometime show that the speed limit was 55 when actually the state had changed it to 65

mindes, KB3MMX and JoeTruck Thank this.
  10. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    This is not intended to sound like a smart alec but . . . You could get your own authority and run things your way. Their authority, their rules.

86scotty, PE_T, Opendeckin and 4 others Thank this.
  11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    The omnitrac is pretty sensitive to speed. Did they give you what the percentage was? I could compare it with some of my guys.

My trucks are set between 68 and 70 and some guys speed more then others.

Sounds like maybe you should look for a smaller company that doesn’t have all the rules and such so strict. Unfortunately for you it’s their authority and their rules. Sometimes stupid rules are handed down from the big boss without much consideration for real life because they are out of touch themselves. They think they are helping their company when in fact it’s hurting it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.