1. negativecold13

negativecold13 Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Gilmer, Texas
    has anyone received a ticket or been put oos for not using an eld???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Yes, we just had a driver get that today.
    There was a discrepancy between my bosses, one said go the other said no. He went, and got inspected. The truck supposedly had an old enough motor, in a 2013 Freightliner, Glider kit.

The man with the badge won that round.
    I'm waiting for our other new truck to get stopped and inspected for it. It passes a scale almost daily.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. negativecold13

Jan 25, 2014
    Gilmer, Texas
    I am in a temparay rental ryder truck. My safety guy says im good to use paperlogs, however, i intepret he rule to be no more than 8 days??? I sure dont want to go into a scale house for an inspection until i know for sure..

5. Bank_Lbr

Bank_Lbr Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2018
    If the rental contract was signed on or before April 20th, you have (up to 30 days).

Here is the Announcement:

TRALA received word from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) today confirming that short-term rental agreements signed on or before April 19 would be allowed to use paper logs rather than electronic logging devices (ELDs) until the end of the rental term.

The rental agreement must be 30 days or less and may not be "stacked" with future rental agreements. What this means for example, is that if a rental agreement was signed for 30 days with a customer and that agreement began on April 15, the customer could continue to use paper logs until May 15 and then at that point would have to move to ELDs if the rental agreement were to be extended or a new rental agreement were to be entered into.

The TRALA waiver of three months granted by the FMCSA expires at the end of today, April 19 so any rental agreements that are more than 8 days in length that are signed starting tomorrow, on April 20 would NOT be allowed to use paper logs, but instead an ELD would be required unless the customer were to fall under another existing exemption. Those exemptions would include the 100 air-mile radius exemption for CDL drivers, the 150 air-mile radius exemption for non-CDL drivers or the exemption that allows drivers that only exceed their 100 or 150 air mile exemption 8 or fewer days per any 30 day interval. Lastly, any rental agreement of 8 days or less is exempt from the ELD mandate until December, 2022.

If you have any questions about this, please contact Jake Jacoby at jjacoby@trala.org or by calling (703) 299-9120.

###

x1Heavy and negativecold13 Thank this.
  6. negativecold13

Jan 25, 2014
    Gilmer, Texas
    Thanks for that info...i still have a few days...

x1Heavy and Bank_Lbr Thank this.
  7. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    "....would have to move to ELDs if the rental agreement were to be extended or a new rental agreement were to be entered into...."

I wouldnt show anybody the old rental agreement

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. negativecold13

Jan 25, 2014
    Gilmer, Texas
    Problem solved...picked up new truck on the 17th....

x1Heavy and Bank_Lbr Thank this.
  9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Do people really think the DOT cares about when the motor was manufactured? All they're going to do is open the door and look at the sticker to see when the truck was manufactured. It's too much work to try and get over. The man with the badge will win every time lol

UsualSuspect and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Some people do.
    Like the boss who said to run it. I don't get paid to quibble with them, just to run it. Its their tickets, and fines.

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Agreed......

UsualSuspect and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.