ELDs are going to get people hurt/killed

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by shatteredsquare, Mar 18, 2018.

1. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    I heard if you can beat the cop to a safe stopping place they can't give you a violation

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    All the mega carriers, therefore a majority of all the drivers, have been on ELogs for a long time. The only people continuing to complain about them are the ones that like to cheat the system because now they’ll have to run legal like they should’ve been doing all along anyway. Stop whining and learn how to plan a trip properly. Stop buying into the nonsense that the most important thing in the world is your warehouse appointment time because that’s what your dispatcher told you. If you’re late because of a 50 car pileup that shut down the interstate for 12 hours then how is that your problem or your responsibility? Do you really think that people are going to go racing around the country playing bumper cars because they live in fear of the ELDs and the HOS? Come on man, give me a break. Times change, technology advances, and successful people adapt. Put on your big boy pants and stop blaming everyone else for your shortcomings.

tucker Thanks this.
  4. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    did you just assume my gender. I'm calling the police.

swervyjoe Thanks this.
  5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    While i agree with what you are saying in principle, for those of us that were trucking before the change in hos enforcement its a big change in culture.
    For example: you say like we should have been doing all along. While you aren't wrong, if you weren't doing this 15 years ago you can't understand the difference. Back then everyone, including law enforcement, expected drivers to fudge the books. Making it look legal WAS legal in the eyes of everyone including the dot. I can't count the number of times my book hadn't been touched since i went on duty that morning, got stopped at a scale and handed it over to the officer only for him to hand it back and say catch this up/make this current. That's a big change to today. And while i have adapted and have made it work, i completely understand the frustration others have with things.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    stayinback, kemosabi49 and wore out Thank this.
  6. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    Great, Another window licker!!!

Maybe us “outlaws” have a problem with Any mandate that sticks big brother riding shotgun on my dime in my personal property.. new regs that cost me money and tell me what to do with MY PERSONAL property will always raise red flags..

Seems this industry is only going to get worse since the old timers are retiring and all these company sponsored steering wheel holders aren’t smart enough to get it and just flat out to dumb to evolve from window lickers and be able form their own opinion and not pay lip service to company safety message quoting the same old wore out arguments of why we have ELDs..

stayinback Thanks this.
  7. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The reason we have elds is pretty simple. The feds said to the industry that we could come up with a solution or they would. Industry leaders chose elds to appease the feds. It bought them a seat at the table where trucking is discussed. If they had done nothing the industry would have no input in what regs were forced upon us. Lessor of two evils kind of thing. While the ata does not have my best interests in mind, id rather they have a seat at the table than the table be filled with nothing but anti truck groups.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    wore out Thanks this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    The reason we have elds is because some people can't figure out they need to stop if they're tired. If I drove completely and entirely legal the way a lot of people on here claim to I would get about 3 hours of sleep every night because I can't sleep if I am not tired. The hos are so completely messed up its ridiculous but thats something else entirely

9. BarberTrucker

BarberTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Well I won’t be one of the idiots being described. I normally find a place to park within my last 90 mins of drive time. That gives me plenty of time in case first truck stop has no parking. Plus I do mostly night driving jus so I can park first thing in the mornings when everybody leaving

10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Those kind of idiots have always been in trucking. We love to blame the megas, but as a group their safety record is petty darn good compared to independents and small carriers.

Sure a lot of independents and small carriers have great safety records, but for every one of them is 99 billy bobs and immigrants running on their last dollar pulling freight barely above costs. Hopefully elogs put these type out of business.

11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That's the way to do it. Have seen extra hour on your clock and bask up plans in case you planned spot is full. But you can keep that night running deal. I start early and finish early.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.