Electric brake control for semi

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Razz32, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Razz32

Razz32 Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    I have 2017 Peterbilt I’m trying to put an electric brake controller. On I have purchased everything I need for example 30amp fuses, electric brake controller, 10g 25f wire 7 RV Blade Plug to 7 Way Pin Type Trailer Electrical Adapter Connector with Mounting Bracket. Need help connecting this to the truck brake wire and hookup to the electric harness that connects to the trailer.
    Need help. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The controllers I used several years ago. I think a wire for 12volt system power, 1 wire connected to the truck brake light circuit.
    3rd wire fed the axle brakes.

4. Razz32

Razz32 Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    Thank you for your response. Do you know where the wire location is ? The truck brake light circuit and the axel brake wire I have located the front axel wire sensors and the rear wire sensors but I can’t seem to locate the actual brake wire and axel brake.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Problem you will have is the 7 way round plug used on your truck will not have provisions for trailer brake power. You will need to run that wire from the brake controller out to wherever your trailer plug is located.

6. Razz32

Razz32 Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    Are you referring to this diagram? For the trailer brake power ?

Attached Files:

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I tried to upload a schematic but the file is too large.

Your going to be looking for Connector J019 labelled stop lamp - Wire number YEL2415 at the stop lamp switch. Should be located behind the B panel near the MV3 valve. If not there check under the column behind the pedals.

This circuit should work for your controller signal wire.

A simpler idea is to just install your own switch. I simple normally open air stop light switch spliced in to any air applied signal. Add a spare fused circuit and your good to go. No hacking into the truck wiring.

The later would be my option.

Good luck

gentleroger Thanks this.
  8. Razz32

Razz32 Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    If you don’t mind send the schematic to my email trustrazz@outlook.com
    I would really appreciate it. I really don’t know where a lot these stuff is located at this my first semi truck.

If I have the diagram or schematic to follow that would make it really easy.

thank you very much for your help.

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Email sent

10. Razz32

Razz32 Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    Thank you I have received it.

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  11. roadfitter

roadfitter Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2024
    Razz
    In short you need to google a "Jackalopee" . I use 1 on my T 2000 to go from dot 12v.t to RV 12 vt without intrusion into your tractor wiring !!
    cost, about $130.00. Unplug round pin DOT plug, plug in RV plug from your "Jackalopee to Dot tractor plug. Working tractor is now an RV puller, eazzy peezy! The Jackalopee does the conversion w a couple other bennafits
    I am an "X" working driver that now pulls my 40' 5th. whl. RV with a Kenworth T 2000. The GVWR is 20,000 LBS. We belong to the "Escapees" RV groupe, the 3rd. largest rv groupe in north America. At this time we have over 400 big rigs, big RV trailer pulled with class 8 trucks.
    It does'nt take much to turn a blvd. sled into a holiday hauler, keep the fun Rolling!
    Lots more class 8 truck ideas on the Escappees Heavy Duty truck forum. 1 thumb nail shows over 360 photos of "class 8 haulers"

In The Faith
    roadfitter

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.