Electric Fans

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Turbrospeed, Mar 1, 2023.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    That's pretty interesting. Did the kit include wiring and good instructions? Is it wired to be controlled by the ECM?
    I'd make sure you have them mounted good or those plastic mounting tabs will eventually break off and your fans will be sitting in a pile

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s a decent price. Horton sells a rebuild kit, roughly $600. New style kit has bearing already installed with the hub. Kitmasters sells a rebuild kit also. Same price roughly. I did mine with the Kitmasters. Apparently I’m the only one to have a kit fail. I followed all the instructions. The bearing fell apart. Got another kitmaster rebuilt whole unit for $950. They claim they’re going to stand behind it, and refund my original $550, along with a partial credit for my core. I’ve yet to send it back. 3 yr. Warranty on rebuild kit. If I were to rebuild another, I’d get the Horton kit.Available through Freightliner Dealer.

jason6541 and ducnut Thank this.
  4. Turbrospeed

Turbrospeed Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    No everything was custom brackets, painted n clear coated, 10 gauge wiring, 4 30amp relays mounted to a custom carbon fiber panel i had laying around....I wired all the relays to activate with ground through a switch.

I hit some pretty nasty bumps this week especially through shreveport, la and south carolina on the 95 south, also up north through TN and VA. They held pretty good....I put locking nuts on everything.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    I spend around 700-800$ to do these electric fans. The 4 fans where around 500$ through jegs....Wiring and relay another 200$ or so.

Rideandrepair and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    That’s interesting.

I might have suggested going to the junkyard and looking for Taurus or Corvette fans. They’re shrouded and have amongst the highest CFM numbers of any electric fans.

There are big power, working show trucks running electric fans, so I won’t discount them being viable.

RubyEagle and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m surprised there’s an electric fan application available. From everything I’ve read, there hasn’t been one developed that’s powered enough for a Class 8. I like the idea. Tried to find one in the past. Seems I heard a clutch fan engaged can cost up to 60 Hp. I’ve ran them engaged for long times, due to a bad air seal. Usually at least 1/3 mpg loss. Adds up quick. An electric would pay for itself.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  8. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    Yea i just didnt have time to go to a junkyard....also the nearest one to me is over an hr away...but these push 2500cfm each.

jason6541, Rideandrepair and ducnut Thank this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I’m not sure who make them. But, this Rollin’ Transport truck, called “Benchmark”, has one. The front accessory drive area of the engine is so clean on this thing. Unfortunately, trying to find the IG pic is impossible.

C60A09C2-C9B9-4A49-B9BA-B5DF026EE8F0.jpeg 0921C83A-1589-4992-B488-C006AC809453.jpeg

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    There is one from some company there i forgot the name but man they wanted 1500+ for that electric fan and its weighs 70lbs....also they never answered my question about putting the relays or the bracket to mount it....I dont know how much fuel am saving but i really feel a difference in the truck acceleration and getting up to speed faster.

ducnut and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s a nice Truck!

ducnut Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.