Electronic tracking has been required on semi-trucks for 5 years. Fatalities haven't decreased.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Feb 5, 2023.

1. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    So where was the electronic device that was related to the book or tractor?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

Between the operators ears…..

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I remember watching a video on trucking from just after WWII, and they had a mechanical log device that had a rotating disk and it would keep track of the miles driven. I guess that was the precursor to the log book.

5. FozzyNOK

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Thats a "tachograph".. I've used them. The where the precursor to the electronic logs, some trucks had two (one for the tach and one for the speedo) They used them in Europe longer and may even still use them, but electronics are a lot better.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I remember tachographs being required in long haul trucks in The Netherlands in the ‘90’s. There were ways to defeat them.

7. FozzyNOK

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    We had morons who thought they were "defeating them".. they would bend the scribe/needles to show less speed..I was easy to see because then your speed would also not ever be zero... now saying this is because these idiots got paid to run down the interstate BY THE HOUR.. why in the hell would you want to get paid less by driving faster that the law (at that time) allowed??

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    In my experience that would depend on the percentage of the clock milkers who are members of a protected class. The higher that number, the most likely the behavior will be tolerated due to a proportionate lack of testicular fortitude in the HR department.

MSWS Thanks this.
  9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    They aren’t mandatory on all trucks…. Only trucks 200 and newer that operate outside their 150 air mile radius more than 8 days a month

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.