Eliminate Hours of Service

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by RigJockey, Aug 9, 2021.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    The HOS is fine to me....14 hrs work, 11 hrs to drive. You're telling me you can't make that work? That's more than 50 percent of the 24 hr clock available to work. I think that's fair. If you can't make a living in that window, then you don't know how to work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    Exactly right. Get rid of line 4. You can have a comment on line 3 ( pre trip, post trip, loading, unloading, fueling, dot inspection, then the off duty for truck in shop, coffee stops, or tire checks, pp breaks. So on, so forth. You still have the 14 hour rule in 24 hours.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Reason for edit: adjustments made.
  4. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    So basically, what I am saying, is you are either Off Duty, or you are Driving, up to 12 hours in 14 in 24 hours, once you begin your day. Fueling, loading, unloading, dot inspections, training, thats all Driving, the rest is Off Duty. Once you start your day. Starting pay is $1,600 a week gross. If you can get more from your company wonderful. If you don't drive of course the pay will drop as it is based on hours. I.E. Driving 50 mph on the Interstate at night... Sorry. Deduction occurs here, and there will be more deductions as this is worked out. You must have a 34 after 7 days. No more recaps, or split shifts. You get good rest, you drive up to 84 hours a week MAX. The $1600 gross is based on 70 hours. So, now you have to talk about overtime after 70, right? However the logging is super simple. When the Truck starts moving as you know you are now Driving. Then you would add in I did a pretrip before my drive. I did a post trip after my drive. Another thing. You still have appointments. So after you unload, waiting for a preplan that is off duty. No pay after the load is done. You go off duty driving and get to a truck stop, or wherever and wait. If you never get another load that day your 10 hour break started when your trailer was empty. If for some reason you are tired waiting to get that next preplan, you will have to refuse the preplan, or not if you think you can still run it. Remember you can drive 12 hours in 14 now. So, its not just on duty or off, because the 70 and up to a max of 84 hour week. Keep in mind you can only work the loads given to you. So that will more than likely be under 84 hours of on duty/driving time in 7 days, then you need a 34 minimum. Don't worry. It can be done.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Reason for edit: adjustments made.
  5. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    The HOS is for our Benefit.. And for that, we are eliminated from most labor laws, figure that 1 out.

alds Thanks this.
  6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I loved driving on ELD. It was a lot easier and I made more money on it.

alds and bryan21384 Thank this.
  7. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Honestly as much as i as an individual would love to just drive till im tired sleep till i am not then go again without the big bad DOT looking over my shoulder and know when im done.....there are far to many drivers, shippers, recivers and dispatchers who will abuse it and drive or force a driver to drive well beyond their limits.

I see it all the time, a lot of drivers are scared ####less of losing their job and/or very meek so already have dispatchers pressureing them to more or less ignore their ELD and let them go back and edit the HoS to let them drive more or to be awake the second the 10 hours is up. There are also cowboys who will all but do crack just to keep rolling 20 hours a day in serch of the almighty dollar.

While im sure most drivers would use it correctly the handful who dont are the ones who will fall asleep and plow into a schoolbus full of kids.

alds, Bean Jr., peterd and 2 others Thank this.
  8. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I can honestly say that the current HOS rules suit me just fine.

bryan21384 and MIT Thank this.
  9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    You do understand that railroad employees, not just locomotive engineers, but other train crew and even dispatch personnel are under HOS rules and regulations, since 1907:
    Hours of Service: Where we’ve been; where we need to be - Railway Age
    And airline pilots also have their own set of rules about maximum flight time, hours per week etc.:
    Flight Engineer Careers
    And the individuals who command watercraft (also called pilots) in US waters also have their HOS regulations:
    https://www.americanpilots.org/docu...overning_Work__Rest_and_Duty_for_Mariners.pdf

So it is pretty universal, even the industries involved are not considering lobbying for any HOS elimination.
    The rules continue to evolve in all 4 industries and probably always will.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Honestly the drive time should return to 10 hours.

Just passing by and Ffx95 Thank this.
  11. Just a rookie

Just a rookie Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2021
    canuckdia
    agreed but it can be improved. shift the blame and pressure onto carriers not drivers

Team818 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.