Eliminate Hours of Service

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by RigJockey, Aug 9, 2021.

1. wildcoyote

wildcoyote Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Michigan
    I'm all for getting rid of them, but as an O/O I make my own hours and I go home every day. What really yanks my chain is when I have to make a quick 1300 mile trip to pick up a new trailer (October hopefully, if it gets finished on time.) I want to run down in one day, rest and check out the trailer, then head back. Why should I have to stay in my truck (no sleeper) and get poor sleep or spend money on a hotel when I might only get 1 hour of shut-eye just because I'm not tired in the first place.

Another problem I run into often is the 150-mile exemption, I can easily drive out and back well over 300 miles and still be home to get dinner, why should that count as a logged day. These rules are just as others have said, not aimed at real safety, it's just about control.

I never worked for a company that forced me to drive more than I was comfortable with, I just always showed up early anyway. If the hos rules were gone and a dispatcher tells you to push, you call the fmcsa or local dot and report it. If you're fired for it, you would be covered by the whistleblower laws and you would have a record of reporting the business. We need drivers to grow a backbone and make change, not just accept whatever we are told. When I was OTR, I was on paper, I demoed an ELD, and pay got cut in half, I would never consider having one. The truck can sit in the driveway and get shined up and I'll go work in the shop and make money that way if it gets worse.

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I get the annoyance the HOS rules causes for responsible drivers. I was a bit annoyed by it when I was an OTR company driver. For owner operators, I'm sure this is a HUGE hindrance on the potential income for their business.
    Being a local company driver who works 5 days a week, however the HOS rules are my friend. It helps to keep the companies dispatch in check.
    If there were no law limiting out the amount of time a driver could work, we could be pushed to the breaking point, with little time to rest in between shifts.
    HOS regs need to fit the specific types of jobs we do as drivers, not one size fits all. That is the problem with government policies and regulations...

tarmadilo Thanks this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    So waking up driving an hr sitting at shipper for 6 hrs off duty is taking a rest break whenever you want? I know I can’t fall back asleep after getting a good nights rest. So since there would be no HOS my company might want me to drive out my clock making me work a 20 hr day? No thanks.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  6. Drunk Trucker

Drunk Trucker Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2021
    You are supposed to be on duty while getting unloaded.

7. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Good thing in my example I used shipper because that would have been embarrassing for both me and my fictional shipper. Also I go into sleeper birth when being unloaded since I’m not required to be on dock or help in anyway.

snowlauncher and tarmadilo Thank this.
  8. Drunk Trucker

Aug 3, 2021
    Doesn't matter if you are on dock or not.

9. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    According to my logs lady I can be in sleeper. So I go to sleeper.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  10. Drunk Trucker

Aug 3, 2021
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR)
    On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:

11. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Your company must love you. NIce way of burning out your already thin clock.

Bean Jr., snowlauncher and MIT Thank this.
  12. Drunk Trucker

Aug 3, 2021
    I can go off duty while being unloaded if I want however I won't get paid.

13. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Now you are just being contradictory. Pay has nothing to do with regs, that's just company policy.
    So thanks for admitting you are wrong about having to be on duty while in the docks.

Question 1: A company told all of its drivers that it would no longer pay for driving from the last stop to home and that this time should not be shown on the time cards. Is it a violation of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) to operate a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) from the last stop to home and not show that time on the time cards? Guidance: The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) do not address questions of pay.

Question 10: How does compensation relate to on-duty time?

Guidance: The fact that a driver is paid for a period of time does not always establish that the driver was on-duty for the purposes of part 395 during that period of time. A driver may be relieved of duty under certain conditions and still be paid.

• Truckers Report Jobs