Emergency rations- do you use them?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Katbirdmine, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    I keep the truck fully stocked all year. The risk of getting stuck isn't seasonal. I do all my cooking on the truck, I don't eat out. I have a microwave, crock pot, foreman grill and a big fridge with a freezer. I eat healthier, better quality food. I've never even given any thought to "getting stuck." I also carry between 10-15 gallons of water on board. I highly recommend this approach to all o/o's and any other driver that has a supportive employer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Pay constant attention to your tare empty. If you have a good employer like we did, you can carry some weight in that tractor. It's probably... a blashemy to have covered secured bins up top with 200 pounds of this and that in them. (We secured ours with very strong rope so they are going no where even on the worst of bridges.) Sometimes you might have to be a little light in fuel to get past a scale, however as you have supplies you only need a truckstop for fueling and shower plus laundry. You will understand that you are free to camp anywhere and thrive on good things to drink and eat.

Katbirdmine Thanks this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'm usually on the road for 1 - 2 months at a time,. I've learned to not live out of truck stops and convenience stores.

Before I head out, I usually hit the grocery store and stock up on supplies,.. I shop the same as I would for my home.

I've shopped the same list for a few years now,.. so I can list this off the top of my head.
    Large case of water,.. either the 24 or 32 bottles.
    2 gallons of water for when I cant get to a shower,.. I can at least wash my hair.
    2 packages of baby wipes. Again,.. for when I cant get to a shower.
    2 24 packs of diet mountain dew
    2 24 packs of coke zero cherry
    2 24 packs of diet dr pepper.
    2 boxes of Red Line energy drinks
    2 boxes of Starbucks coffee drinks.
    Gallon of milk
    2 large boxes of cereal,.. usually Fruity pebbles and Cinnimon toast crunch.
    5 lbs of hamburger
    Pack of Italian sausages
    2 onions
    5 - 6 green peppers
    24 pack of Ball Park hotdogs
    2 lbs of bacon
    1 dozen eggs
    3 - 4 pints of ice cream
    6 - 8 TV dinners. Lasagna, Salisbury steak, country fried steak, Parmesan chicken etc
    4 cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew
    6 cans of Castleberry Chili
    8 - 10 cans of assorted Campbells Chunky stews in the can.
    4 - 5 cans of peas
    4 - 5 cans of whole kernel corn
    Large box of off brand pop tarts.
    Large bag of apples
    4 - 5 large bags of Jack Links Sweet and Hot beef jerky
    Large box of deli style slim Jims
    Couple bags of different trail mix
    Pre cut celery sticks
    1lb bag of baby carrots
    French Onion dip or South Western Ranch dip.
    Assorted lunch meats, honey ham, smoked turkey, roast beef.
    Large Peter Pan honey roasted peanut butter, Smuckers Strawberry preserves.
    2 large bottle of squeezable Miracle Whip
    2 loafs of Honey Wheat bread
    2 large boxes of plastic cutlery.
    Large pack of paper plates. Pack of plastic bowels. Roll of aluminum foil. twin pack of plastic cups.
    Box of 80 13 gallon draw string trash bags
    Large pack of 12 rolls of Bounty paper towels
    Pump bottle of Go Jo hand cleaner.
    4 bottles of windex
    4 pack of air fresheners
    bottle of fabreeze
    Tube of Crest Cinnimon tooth paste
    bottle of mouth wash
    head and shoulders shampoo
    box of irish spring soap

Thats my list of emergency rations. Its usually between $240 - $260. With the exception of water and other little odds n ends,.. It will last me 4 - 6 weeks before I need to hit the store again. And yes X1heavy,.. I've probably got an easy 300 - 350lbs of supplies on my top bunk and cabinets. Not counting all of my clothes, laundry soap, extra boots and shoes in case they get wet, gloves, tools and other needed gear.

No problems cooking in the truck.

When weather is nice I use the smaller hibachi grill.
    I have a 1000 watt microwave, hot plate and forman grill for cooking inside when its not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats how I roll.

Hurst

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Bleh,.. I've tried some of those from the surplus store. All yours brother. :p

Hurst

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What the MRE's they are not really that FUN to eat. But eh...

Your list is pretty complete.

I am thinking you need some way to freeze or cool that meat in a icebox. Is that it in that one image?

7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Black and Decker fridge,.. its under the Microwave in the pic. Its a little larger than what you would get in most hotel rooms. Has a pretty good sized freezer. Lots of racks, crisper tray on the bottom. Lots of room in the door too. Can hold 12 cans of soda plus salad dressing, ketchup, mustard, A1, Jelly, eggs and assorted odds n ends. Its usually stuffed before I roll out.

Hurst

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I'd just carry a bunch of water, canned goods of various types, brown rice bags, and some hot sauce.
    As far as emergencies go, a bicycle makes a good, grocery grabber and life line when stuck somewhere.
    Ride to resupply, ride to go shoot some small game with a slingshot, ride to get to a warm motel down the way.

And Hurst, that's a lot of soda!!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Katbirdmine

Katbirdmine Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Blue Grass, Ia
    @Hurst Brilliant and well thought out list, although I'd swap out a few things like soda for juices and fruits, etc. I envy your layout, especially your fridge. I am well familiar with a foremen grill, but I think I'd make good use of a wok for easy cooking and fast cleanup. Planned-overs are great for quick warm-ups!

Lots of great ideas from many, I love this camaraderie!

I have never used EMR's actually and would rather stock up on whole grains, rice, and beans. Dehydrated onions, garlic, and spices, etc. Water, of course.

Heating more healthy is great but, I also buy supplements and pre-pack them into daily rations. they take up less room than all those bottles, I get the little ziplocks at hobby stores like JoAnnes, and they are reusable.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    My "emergency" rations were a couple cans of pre cooked vienna sausage, and a few gallons of water. Even in the worst stomrs in America one should only have to worry about a few days. That's where plenty of water is handy.

We drive for a living. Once the roads open back up simply go away from the affected area to restock. Heck, likely you will be back resupplying the area anyway.....

Eowyn and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What are you using to feed that thing electrically? What does it take?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.