Employed as a trucker in the Texas oil field with no experience?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by trucrepo, Aug 9, 2018.

1. trucrepo

trucrepo Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    If you can, which job boards should you check out?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trucrepo

trucrepo Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
  4. trucrepo

trucrepo Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Anyone know if you can be oil field trucker without experience?

5. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Yes you can. Many places have experience requirements but others are so hard up for drivers about their only requirement is a heartbeat.

When you say no experience do you mean absolutely zero or do you at least have a CDL but just no experience?

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    You can't see the landscape anymore in Midland/Odessa for all the "CDL Drivers Wanted!" billboards. If you have a CDL, drove into a few businesses with the signs up, you should be employed in a nanosecond.

7. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Midland/Odessa is booming right now so any driver with a pulse should be able to get a job. Craigslist is ok, but I've notice a lot of the fly by night trucking companies post there. Try indeed.com.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Entry-level, try hauling water or jobs that also include labor.

Also look into Farmington, NM, some of those companies have operations in the Permian as well.

9. trucrepo

trucrepo Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I don't have a CDL. How long might it take to get a CDL and how much would it cost?
    How much can you make as a 1st year trucker in the oil field?

10. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I don't mean for this to come across the wrong way but you are asking questions that get asked here thousands of times. Read the forums and do some research. There are tons of ways to get your CDL. You can do it yourself and have a license in a couple of weeks for a few hundred dollars or whatever the license fees from the state are. You would need to have access to a truck to drive for the tests and know how to drive it. This is how I got my license. Many companies however will not hire you unless you have been through an accredited training program which I think is 6- 8 weeks not sure. To attend one of these training programs can cost thousands. Again not sure I didn't go this route but there are lots of threads on the various options.

If you bust your butt driving in the oilfield it is pretty realistic to earn 100k a year right now. You are going to be working around 70 hours a week though.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. pyriteinmatrix

pyriteinmatrix Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Universal pressure pumping in midland hires no cdl equipment operators and gives you a cdl.
    pumpco in pleasanton hires no cdl EO's and trains for cdl. Cudd hires no cdl & oilfield experience EO's and trains for cdl. If I'm not mistaken, Halliburton in Elmendorf(san antonio) hires with a permit. All of these are pressure pumping companies with an intense focus on frac, so the labor will be crazy, but you get a mostly free cdl - just gotta sweat for it. Midland, Odessa ans San antonio have an oilfield job week every week it seems. Just google oilfield job fairs in those areas and take anything while the pressure pumping boom is still here. Call the oilfield staffing agencies ,like progressive, woods and nexus, that specialize in people with very little to no oilfield experience and no cdl.

No crude, water or sand hauling outfit can hire and train you up with no cdl for obvious liability reasons.

Desert_3agle and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.