Employee owned trucking company question

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by trips74, May 27, 2023.

1. trips74

trips74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    chicagoland, il
    Was just using PTL as a known example that claims employee owned, although I did work for them for a minute but pretty sure this was before they claimed employee owned crapped

ducnut Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trips74

trips74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    chicagoland, il
    I figured it was just a scam but was looking for clarity

ducnut Thanks this.
  4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    How is it a scam? You are given shares of company stock (as opposed to buying them at a discount) and when you separate they pay you either a lump sum or a series of payments, in accordance with your vesting.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. buckmanmike

buckmanmike Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2010
    in the country, georgia
    My understanding is most employee owned companies, the employees own stock that is non- voting which degrades the value. Why would you want to own stock that has no rights. Scam, in my opinion.

ducnut and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  6. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    I say scam because all the real advantages are for the business, not the employee. There may be companies out there that have implemented other policies along with employee owned that make it different but employee owned by itself isnt enough. The original owner gets a boost in productivity and the employee gets a retirement plan thats not diverse. If having all your money invested in a single company was a good idea there would be 401k and ira plans doing the same thing.

ducnut Thanks this.
  7. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Free money isn't an advantage for the employee?

As if that's a bad thing? o_O

I don't think that's a retirement plan, I think it's just an Employee Stock Ownership Plan.

I went and checked PTL's website and they offer a 401(k) plan with a company match. Anybody at any company would be a fool not to take full advantage of the company match. And yes, their investments should be diversified.

8. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    Employee owned is a retirement plan. The fact people dont know that is part of the scam. If you consider it free money, we wont see eye to eye on much.

ducnut Thanks this.
  9. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    RockinChair Thanks this.
  10. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I'm not sure why you're saying it's a retirement plan, unless it's simply marketed that way. But as far as I know it's not treated like a retirement plan for tax purposes.

edit: after doing some research, I discovered that the IRS does consider an ESOP to be "an IRC section 401(a) qualified defined contribution plan". Therefore, I retract the statement I made immediately above this one.
    source: Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs) | Internal Revenue Service

Do you also think that the employer contribution to an employee's 401(k) isn't free money?

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    Reason for edit: see edited content
    kylefitzy Thanks this.
  11. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I think Big G is another one of those employee owned places.

ducnut Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.