employment gap(was doing assited living help for friend past 5 yrs) and multi old 2004-07 dui's

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by fuel367, Feb 22, 2019.

1. fuel367

fuel367 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2019
    Hey buddyd 157, I didn't take the opportunity to 'thank you' properly for your feedback. Too busy licking my wounds, feeling sorry for myself. I only wished I wouldn't had put my post out there after 'coming clean' on my application, then read your responce and thought twice before filling out apps. No getting it back now! But I wanted to say thanks for real. Where were ya when I needed ya...! lol. Best wishes for health, safety and prosperity. Peace, george c.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
  4. fuel367

Jan 25, 2019
    appreciate it! yeah talked with brad, he said no school but will hire after i get the cdl. read all the horror stories about them but i don't weigh into all the negativity. figure it was i who screwed up and if any company gonna give me a shot, i'd humbly accept, pay my dues as i learn the ropes and prove my worth. then roll with it and c what happens! thanks for responding. stay safe and healthy!

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im going out on a limb and assume that those DUI's were on passenger car licenses or whatever. As long there is no CDL anywhere in your world in those days you are fine.

Its 10 plus years since you did that stuff and probably are getting a CDL for the first time in your life. That would be a blessing. And a opportunity. The applications only go back 10 years in some cases but the ones that will be a problem for you potentially is being asked if you EVER was convicted of such as such as you talked about in your lifetime. You will have to say yes because to be caught saying no in a application question for employment will have you fired pretty much instantly on detection.

If youre that up there in age and have the health to hold a DOT medical etc in interstate and intrastate commerce then that is something to celebrate. Not too many in that age group can do it. (I know I cannot unless certain future medical advances are made) even if I could I would be back to hauling medicines which is what I am best at and presents the least trouble.

There are more positive things to think about in trucking as well. However the industry has changed very greatly especially after 9-11. Most of what you will encounter in paperwork etc is a result of that day. And I would like to think that trip planning etc against your computer time keeper in that truck will be a little challenging in terms of where to park for your rest periods.

As far as your gaps going back up to 10 years you can put down doing caregiving. That's fine. You are accounting for your time, partly for Homeland Security. In years past no one really cared what you did in time off or even how long you were out of the industry.

Just one thing. Make sure whatever you do at a given school, test at the DMV with a manual transmission truck. That way you do not get slapped with a auto only restriction by the state. At some point everyone will be autos then robots and so on.

fss99701 Thanks this.
  6. fuel367

Jan 25, 2019
    yeah heavy, u r spot on. happened in my lil pic-me-up. the 1st company i applied to asked about lifetime and i answered honestly. think that followed me around, tenstreet & driver solutions. gonna keep looking and answer just what they ask. 10 yr work history is mostly covered with doing assisted living help so don't c that as major road block. trip planner, computer, rest area-what problems with that? agreed on stick, rather start with that for opportunities tho looks like auto is becoming trend, easy to switch after learning stick-good advice 4 sure. and yeah, 'pretty good shape for the shape i'm in'-my pop's quote. ain't got much but my good health. work circles around younger guys doing labor work! appreciate the feedback man. hoping the best for u, stay safe out there and healthy as possible.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    Don't really have any advice for you but I wish you good luck.
    Being 60 you might still do okay on the physical I got a buddy of mine that pulls doubles from Anchorage to Haines Alaska twice a week and he 73 years old and still gets a 2-year card.
    I'm 46 and only get a one-year card :( #### blood pressure.

bryan21384 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I did not want to throw too many wrenches into the situation. In my time you cannot find parking for love or money along say I-81 between Harrisburg PA all the way to Roanoke, particularly some nights where the Nation's trucking flows north and east for delivery monday am for example.

I had a choice in those days, toss the paper logs and roll or find a spot in the woods in the Harpers Ferry area and get rested there. Those spots have been discovered recently to be paved over, developed over or otherwise buried by progress. If I had to park at the end of a 11 hour driving time and have a space ready it will be a miracle in the east. I recall one perfect 10 hour run from Seabrook NH to Baltimore Md where i pulled the parking brakes at dinner time 10 minutes to the 10th hour end of driving day on paper this was back in 1990. Because it was a perfect run to the Baltimore Plaza with soda in cases on pallets that day stuck in my memory.

Anyway that was what I was thinking of when I wrote parking in trip planning. That's one reason I enjoy the west very much.

Your first year will be your most dangerous for what you do not know yet. And how to say no to dispatch intent on running you into the ground etc. You will run into trouble with appt times and all you need to do is extend it and make a case to get a new one that matches your current HOS legal situation.

You lived a good many years, if you are afraid of heights, deep ocean water crossings like east of Norfolk or wide open empty spaces with nothing on it or whatever, I hoped that you have resolved it before you get involved here.

My own medical situation improves. My doctors are looking into what's possible because of what we know now. Ive gotten well enough, almost to consider going back into Tier two CDL (No DOT medical..) and very limited farm to harvest coop type work to start off with. It would be no trouble to go back to the Auction house and take back up my old position of truck boss herding new CDL temps to trucks teaching them either the manual or auto and taking the old iron through the sales. Anything is possible. Just need to do a certain amount of repair work medically. And that is in progress.

fss99701 Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    what is cleaned up?

Look let's just say this, stop worrying and APPLY to the companies.

Ask China for help, he will direct you to the right place ...

Don't put expectations into the possibilities, just apply and go with what ever happens. This is an industry that is super easy to get into, has a lot of second chances and many people, even acting like idiots while on the job are forgiven and still drive.

SO start applying.

10. fuel367

Jan 25, 2019
    Sure do appreciate the good luck comment. Think it just may take some. Physically I'm in good shape @ 60. Just got done with a full day work at day labor outfit, cutting down couple trees, cutting em up and stacking/loading. Blessed with good health tho sore, expected at this age. Friend still doing it at 73-thats great. Been said, 'never slow down (physically), never grow old)! Sorry to hear about your high blood pressure. Gotta get a hold of that. Alot of stressors in life, trucking likely being 1 of them. Best wishes to u too. U got alot of living/time on your side. Get/stay healthy, be safe out there. Peace!

fss99701 Thanks this.
  11. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.