Empty mileage pay

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by JUST17, Jan 14, 2019.

1. JUST17

JUST17 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I just started driving otr again and just got my first check. Turns out they don’t pay empty miles.I’m guaranteed 2500 miles a week at 60cpm. I got 3000 miles but only got paid the loaded 2600. I’ll be under 2500 total this week so we’ll see about that guaranteed money. Just curious what you guys think. I guess it could all even out at the end but I’m feeling I’ll get screwed in the end by not getting paid those miles

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    That's at least 8 hours of working free. Times have changed don't work for free. It will always leave a bad taste in your mouth & hole in your wallet. To be honest if it looks like you're going to run a lot of empty miles often. I wouldn't waste your time move on. The only way you don't pay for empty miles is because a driver doesn't drive empty plain & simple. Never work for free unless you're volunteering.

4. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Wait the extra100 miles you got paid this week will be added to your guarantee for next week. Empty miles are paid at some companies maybe not yours ,who do you work for

5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Most companies that I have seen, if they pay all miles, they will advertise as such. So if they don’t mention anything about it in their ads or during the hiring process, that’s a red flag that they don’t. It’s always a good idea to ask this in the beginning.

But if you are making .60 cpm, maybe it’s not so bad. I mean even if only 80% of your miles are loaded then that should still average out to be around .50 ish cpm. That’s pretty decent if you are just getting back on the road. Of course that depends on your area and your experience level and what type of hauling you do.

How is the company otherwise? Benefits? Equipment? I would wait it out and see how well the miles add up on average.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  6. JUST17

JUST17 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Delta Freight out of Chicago

7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Yeah that’s a good point, but as mentioned in my last post, if he is more than adequately paid for the loaded miles, then it averages out to be ok. Of course this would require minimizing the empty miles. If the OP is doing an excessive amount of deadheading then I could see the frustration. I would give it a couple weeks to see how the miles average out.

The OP didn’t give much info about his work/driving history or his experience level, so it’s hard to say if this is a good deal or not.

8. JUST17

JUST17 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Yeah that was my first instinct to get out. I’m going to give it a couple more weeks to see how it evens out

9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Is this 1099 or payroll?

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    back in my earlier days, i got paid the full amount per mile, loaded or empty.

later jobs, only paid half for empty.

this sadly falls on you for not inquiring when you applied then at the interview.

but then at 60¢ per mile, you lost 400 miles of something.

do you get accessorial pay like loading/unloading, detention, drop and hook, switching out loads, breakdown pay..???

if you do not, then again, it's on you for not doing due diligence at application/interview time.

11. JUST17

JUST17 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2019
    W2

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.