End my 2 year trucking career?!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canwil3565, Mar 19, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you are over spending your paychecks.(or living beyond your means)

you must have lots of debt at home

pay down one bill in full, then the next, then the next, and so on.

you should be able to survive on 2 meals a day, and drink cheaper drinks like water, over expensive sodas and flavored waters, stay away from snack foods.

BigDog Trucker, Dan.S, Tb0n3 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    “Make a name for myself.”
    -no northwest
    -no northeast
    -no chains
    -2 years OTR SuperService, Prime (don’t tell us you did a lease) and Danny Herman.

What kind of name do you think you made? Fair Weather Driver. If there’s money on the other side of the big mountain, you go where the money’s at. I will wager that your income at any company you’ve been at has been LESS THAN AVERAGE. If you want to get paid pulling a box, you have to go where the money’s at.

Now, someone mentioned going LTL. Yes, they do pay more. The thing you need to understand is, you’d better be on point. Every single day regardless of the weather or how you feel. Being habitually fair weathered automatically puts you at a disadvantage. Not trying to be a buster but you’d have one heck of a learning curve ahead. But, if you want it, go all in. All or nothing.

Luck in battle.

4. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Get on something with dedicated customers getting you 3000 miles in 5-6 days with a 34-48 reset at home each week. Dont accept less than .48 cpm... U looking fir .55 cpm to .60 cpm with 2 yeats and clean record. This shouldnt be to difficult to achieve. Regional pays much better than otr... Get a grip on your spending.

5. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Well at least you're trying and not like my ex wife complaining how broke she is and only getting $1200/month from me. o_O

6. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    do you like ramen noodles

buddyd157 and tscottme Thank this.
  7. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I can't give a good answer without seeing your spending in detail. I was broke. Now I have a year's pay in the bank plus retirement. The key is spending. Until the last 18 months I never made $50k/yr. Do without until you have the money/discipline to spend wisely. No spending on convenience items, and no spending on comfort items. One period of toughing it out can get you on the other side of your problems. But making excuses and spending money for convenience and comfort before you can afford it will keep you on the treadmill.

I spend only using credit cards because it's never even a thought in my mind I will pay less than the full balance every month, no exceptions. Just doing that gives me 30 days interest free with the credit card's money. Credit card COULD be a way to get off the paycheck advances but do't even think about it until you can discipline your spending. If you are spending extra money on kids to fell better while you are away from home, stop it. Nobody will die if they don't get one new thing to wear or play with this month. Food and electricity and rent is all anyone gets this month. If they want something, they can work. If they don't work, they can't have it.

Mayeb you need to work locally, although that often means a pay cut from OTR. But being local means you can buy groceries cheaper and keep an eye on the money better. Advances on your paycheck are not an answer, cut something out of your spending. Keep cutting until you are not broke. That's the answer.

9. packersfanmw87

packersfanmw87 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Check out Millis Transfer, they pay well, but with 2 years experience, you should have a ton of employment options paying nicely.

Mooseontheloose and tscottme Thank this.
  10. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    start running loads period

11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    1) How accurate are your etas?

2) How efficient do you run your day?

3,000 miles a week shouldn't make you "so tired you could cry". My guess is that you are working hard, not smart. Before you even think about firing up the truck, plan every minute of your trip. Know when you will make pick up, what roads you will run, where and when you will take your breaks/fuel, know when you make delivery, know when you will be available for the next load and how many hours you will have on your 8/11/14/70.

The more you pay attention to the details, the easier the big picture gets. You will be able to find how to run your loads to maximize your income while mininizing your work.

Do the same with your finances - know where every cent will go BEFORE you spend it.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.