End my 2 year trucking career?!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canwil3565, Mar 19, 2019.

1. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    wet toilet paper comes in real handy sometimes. its like a natural wipe

D.Tibbitt, TankerP and Coover Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    @Ridgeline

OK drop the internet, get your daughter to get a job at a fast food place, have her drop college and when things turn around, start that all back up. There is no excuse for her to be in college while you are struggling with this.

I agree with everything you stated except the snipped portion of your last quote above.

Her daughter does not have to drop out or stop college, she's an adult and can make her own decisions. If its important enough for her to remain enrolled she like many millennials can go and take out student loans and rack up tens, to hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans to get that degree and if lucky get a job to work and pay it off at their 35k-50k/year salary. Sounds great right? Ugh maybe not so much when you have to pay it off yourself.

Its really getting irritating hearing the I was wronged, taken advantage of, whining, single parent, blah, blah, blah. Everything should be easy and basically handed to me crowd.

Ok sorry I'm done, I gotta get back to work and do my fair share to not only support myself, my kids, my ex-wife, but also the other people out there that my uncle Sam sees fit to redistribute my wealth to. Good day :rolleyes:

4. McCauley

McCauley Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Where is home and how often do you need to be there?

How is your safety record?

I might be able to help you.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I would not want chain up out west for the same pay. I did when I started and it sucks. You basically trash the clothes you have on. Plus all the time you lose, chaining up is a joke. If someone live out west and it part of the regular job then that how it goes. It not something I would do anymore, it's just not worth unless it it regular part of the job. Like the driver that run Snoqualmie pass every day, they chain and it's normal.

6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    try the local LTL companies

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    yeah I would agree with you but I am betting that living under her roof, her daughter is being helped by her mom to pay for college.

I'm not making the statement blindly, I have one in university, she figured it out for herself what to do, another who teaches to make money for her future and a son who decided to join the Air Force to get an education - now deciding he is staying in it for the long haul.

I see this all the time, parents think they are obligated to pay for college, if this is the case that she is paying for it, it is simple, stop. The same with the internet, I know they can work and pay for some of the things that are needed, like internet access.

As for student loans, I am getting soooooo tired of the crying about it. My sister went out and took a personal loan and what she said was a Parent "student" loan - a total of $56k to help her daughter go to a school to get a liberal arts degree in drawing and some other crap. She could have gone to a local school, that is one of the best in the nation and get a hell of a good paying job right out of the chute but she wanted to be with her friends and go to a college that costs a lot more. Her brother I heard he wants to go to one in Montana of all places which he won't go on a scholarship.

The bottom line is this, if she is hurting that much, then she needs to tighten up her money situation, get her college age adult daughter to help out and move forward.

Coover Thanks this.
  8. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I admit, college isn't for everyone but there are numerous career paths that require the degree. Do you have any idea what the OPs daughter is studying?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    Reason for edit: Edited to remove insult
  9. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I agree.

@Canwil3565 - what part of PA are you in? Try Old Dominion, A. Duie Pyle, Pitt-Ohio, New Penn, etc. LTL linehaul. Those daycabs you see at night, most of those drivers make between $80 - $100k per year. Get all of your endorsements and apply to those ("LTL Freight") companies.

Not to brag, but to educate you on what kinds of jobs are out there: I make 67.4 cpm plus an hour of clock time ($27.30) every night, and sleep in my own bed every day. I only go to company terminals and drop/hook trailers. I don't deal with customers and crazy appointment times, I just show up, put in my shift and go home. I average $2,500 mi/wk. Do the math and park that sleeper for good.

It's an easy job, except for people who don't like nights. I make more money than my wife who has a PhD and is called "doctor" at work (don't get me wrong, she makes good money, too). I feel like I'm getting away with something on a daily basis. This is my dream job, but you'll never see jobs like it advertised in any of those truck stop job magazines. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    D.Tibbitt, Numb and dwells40 Thank this.
  10. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Isnt $750 per week at $.40 per mile about 1850 miles per week? That’s a big difference with 3000 miles.

Maybe I missed something in all the text above.

11. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    When it comes to a secondary education, there are lots of ways to fund that. Some are not easy, takes a fair amount of work, filling out paperwork and applications. If your willing to dig around to find scholarships, grants and other benefits for tuition help, it can be done. Lots of companies offer tuition reimbursement plans.
    The other option is to go into the military. Plenty of education opportunities.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.