Endorsements

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DexterSaintJock, Dec 1, 2023.

1. DexterSaintJock

DexterSaintJock Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2023
    Montebello, California
    I noticed some private schools offer help with all the endorsements I want, but for a fee. Would it be beneficial to have them help me with that, or should I just do them myself online?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Yourself, it's all pretty common sense except for hazmat. And for hazmat do a ton of practice test. I know last time I took it here in iowa you could skip questions. Skip the ones your not sure about then go back if you need to and answer them.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Also get TWIC because it might be needed for delivering to military bases, prisons, ports, oil refineries, etc.
    ~
    Passport or Passport Card for entering Canada.

5. DexterSaintJock

Nov 16, 2023
    Montebello, California
    Wait so you are saying to do hazmat with the school or that one also on my own?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Save your money and do them all on your own..they’re easy peasy..hazmat just practice it until you’re confident enough.

TTR has all the tests that you can practice for free..here’s the link if you can’t find it on the forum.

#1 Free 2020 CDL Practice Tests

I got all the endorsements when I started but looking back some were a waste of money and time. Doubles & triples for example was a waste because I never wanted to pull them anyway.

Twic and hazmat I let expire and have zero regrets. Those two I would forget about unless my employer was paying for me to get them. Gone are the days of being able to deduct from our taxes if we’re a W-2 employee.

Don’t know what trailer you plan to pull but if it’s dry van or refer I recommend getting the tanker endorsement. You need it to haul liquid totes.

7. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    I do not see a classroom hours requirement for HazMat in Cali.

For adding endorsements In Cali, I think there is a timing issue. You have only a couple of months window to add endorsements before you have to take all the written tests again.

I would encourage you to add the Hazmat and Tanker endorsement, just time it in that no retest window.

Hazmat endorsement could help to get out of a bad freight area if the carrier is set up for it. My money loads were typically Haz and Tanker in a dry van.

Have heard of a couple of trucking companies that use HazMat as a form of background check. If you have the endorsement you have not been caught doing bad things in the past.

8. DexterSaintJock

Nov 16, 2023
    Montebello, California
    Awesome thank you so so much!
    Maybe I can just get them all at first to have a very impressive résumé to get my 1st job and then I can drop the ones I don't need later. Someone told me to not have the endorsements till after I graduate because the guy testing me might be harder on me. What you guys think?

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get all the endorsements before you graduate from cdl school.
    Endorsements have nothing to do with passing the road test.

10. DexterSaintJock

Nov 16, 2023
    Montebello, California
    Retest? Don't understand. Shoud I do my endorsements during school or right after?

11. DexterSaintJock

Nov 16, 2023
    Montebello, California
    Oh ok. Thanx

FullMetalJacket and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.