Engine “Drowning” When Accelerating

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Oct 21, 2018.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It’s difficult to describe, but every few months my truck’s engine sounds like it’s drowning when accelerating. It’s as if the injectors process some water or contaminated fuel, and it’s unable to move the vehicle smoothly (losing power slightly or for a few seconds). When it happens, it happens at initial startup and not when the vehicle has been running.

Does anyone know what that means? I have a 2013 Freightliner Cascadia with 670k miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is always helpful to name the engine and year more than the model and year.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It’s a DD15 engine. I usually mention it, but I completely forgot about it. It must be the early morning.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    No telling but I would look for the simple things first. Sounds like it’s sucking air.Maybe losing some of its prime while sitting. Check all fuel line connections they should be good if no leaks. Could be a check valve but usually will require a lot of cranking to get started having lost prime. My guess is injector cup (s) leaking while sitting. Causes a rough start . If that’s case I believe yours can be changed w/o pulling head or if economy hasn’t suffered just watch for it getting worse. Common problem. I’m not a mechanic just throwing some things out there.Injector cup leaking bad will cause a hard crank as the fuel is built up on piston the longer it sits.

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had a truck behave like that a life time ago. Turns out the fuel pump seal rings were bad, letting in air then water from rain etc where possible which really killed it.

Ive already told that story a number of times. The reason being there was a approaching rain storm to me and my intersection which was a very major one. When the water reaches my rig it's going to be a very expensive tow call no ifs buts or maybes.

I prayed. As pouring rain it was, around 2 inches a hour a Angel was sent to create a box of absolute dry pavement around the intersection and past enough to get out from under the frontal passage. If I did not believe before, I sure do now.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.