Engine Identify

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Danny-Bert, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Danny-Bert

Danny-Bert Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Hi, I'm Danny from Germany and need help, please.
    I have an engine where I think it is an international 551 cui V8 diesel from the 80s.
    Unfortunately I can not identify him exactly.
    I found several numbers at the block ...
    9 16A
    353933-C2
    D54198
    Can you tell me by the numbers what it is for an engine?
    Or can you tell me which manual transmission I can grow there?
    You would help me a lot, and thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
  4. Danny-Bert

Danny-Bert Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Thanks, i will try

5. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    sounds like an 8-92 Detroit by the numbers? I could be wrong though? The type of Tranny would depend a lot on the rears? Older Internationals used 10 or 13 speeds a lot hooked up with Detroit engines. Oops, sorry, the Detroits took over after they quit using the IH.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  6. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    @Danny-Bert , you have DV550 engine.
    a google search for "DV550" will give you heaps of reading matter..

7. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    From the 1980 chapter (page 506):
    "A new 9 liter diesel engine was announced mid-year. The 49 state version produced either 165 or 180 hp at 2,800 rpm and 366 or 401 lb/ft of torque at 1,200 rpm (the California version produced 175 hp at 2,800 rpm and 375 lb/ft torque at 1,200 rpm), and the displacement was 551 cubic inches (9 liters). The engine featured a wide rpm operating range, allowing the use of a five speed transmission where larger transmissions had been required before. It was a short stroke design (4.312 inches, with a bore of 4.51 inches), and its slow rpm rate with a 2,012 feet-per-minute piston speed promoted fuel economy. As a mid-range diesel, it would find homes in the S mediums and in the Cargostar models."

8. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    If that's the engine I think it is per @haycarter, it was commonly used in International-chassis school buses, likely other International trucks in the Class 6 / Class 7 category. Produced from 1966-1988. Three versions from a quick lick-and-a-promise search, not sure how good THAT info is though.
    1800S International School Bus.jpg
    I'm not sure what might have been used in the heavier-duty log trucks and such, but if memory serves, school buses were pretty much all Spicer 5-speeds. These had a granny-low that was useless in 99% of driving.

I'm thinking some of these may have come with 6-speeds toward the end of their run. Not sure which bellhousing was used and what else is compatible though. Hopefully the school-bus Spicer 5-speed designation helps home in on that. In fact, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that's what it came out of - a school bus.

Since they were so common in the school buses, scads of these engines were orphaned as the buses were slowly sold off and scrapped. Salvage yards use bus bodies for storage sheds, and I doubt there was much of a market for the engines when most were being scrapped. Good engine, but with so many of them in school buses that were cut up for storage sheds, there were plenty of them around, which tended to drive the prices down.

You might check out skoolie.net to see if anyone there can provide any other useful info.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.