Engine loads up with Raw fuel at idle

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Nicholaska, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Nicholaska

Nicholaska Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Got a C 15 550 cat engine it loads up with raw fuel whenever it's not under load if you put a load on it cleans up it'll go back down to idle running smooth then all the sudden starts loading up with Raw fuel and smoke the whole parking lot up. I have tried everything and need some ideas. Engine is 1998 with fresh in frame. I've tried fuel pump housing. And pump ,wiring, injectors, ecms, cam and cam gears, clear fuel lines in and out of engine with no air of any kind all sensors too. Tried crank calibration tool on it and told me it was ok. Also pinned the crankshaft and set cam gear to the mark. Nothing seems to work. I'm just an average mechanic. This engine will clear up under load but takes a bit to clear up and when you let it idle it's fine for about 15 seconds and then it starts loading up again real bad smoking horrible and popping if you start to give it some throttle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Sounds like you done spent enough money. Hillbilly way pull your turbo and manifold off. Start truck and locate which hole or holes the smoking is coming from. Once you find the hole that is smoking remove rockers and jakes and both injectors under that set. Swap places with injectors and bolt everything back down. Start truck and see if smoke stayed or followed the injector. If smoke stayed you have a wiring problem. If it moved the injector is bad. If you have a infrared gun you can eliminate the manifold removal most of the time. Injector drivers have been known to go bad also in the ecm but you will have multiple cylinders smoking more than likely with that.

nax Thanks this.
  4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Sounds an awful lot like the cam is off a tooth (or really low compression). Did you verify that every cam lobe and rocker roller is good? Did you do a cylinder cutout test? Hows that look?

At this point, I think I'd pull the exhaust manifold, plug the turbo oil feed and run it without the manifold. See if your issue is on all cylinders, or only 1. It may only clear up under load because there's enough heat in the exhaust to burn off that fuel.

2 issues I ran into recently:
    1 - C15 that lost an intake lobe. Not enough air in that cylinder made it smoke (still pumping the fuel, but lacking air). Once it warmed up and got under load, it cleared up, but that's just because the exhaust was hot enough to burn it off. The intake was opening just enough to not hear/feel a miss.

2 - C12 - Similar symptoms. Pulled my hair out for a while, pulled the manifold and it was only cylinder 3 smoking and misting out raw fuel. Still couldn't find the cause until pressurized the fuel port and it was leaking by in intake valve guide. ON the C12's, the fuel drilling is close the guides, so a small crack was letting fuel dribble in. Same deal, once it got hot enough to burn off that fuel in the exhaust, it stopped smoking.

QUALITYTRUCK, BoxCarKidd and wore out Thank this.
  5. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I was gonna say injectors stuck on open mode...but I like @maggard359 troubleshooting even better...redneck or not.

6. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    I agree with grapeape on the timing. When did all this start happening? If you are not straight in front of the engine when you slide that cam gear on your eyes can trick you on the alignment. That popping noise.....timing. Pin the engine and pull that peanut cover and check that in just a few minutes.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.