Engine lost all power, don't know why?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by MadDogNico, Jun 21, 2020.

1. MadDogNico

MadDogNico Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2020
    The truck I have is a 1996 Freightliner cascadia. I was driving to San Antonio from El Paso and my truck lost all power. No throttle response, no power steering, and electrics were off too. I was going 65 and had to use the trailer air brakes to slow down. After I got it to the shop, they said it was the after treatment system. They fixed it and sent me on my way. Ever since then, my truck has been constantly overheating and shuts off whenever the temp reads 225. My coolant is full and well as my oil. And the radiator and the fan work fine, but I am still having this issue, thinking about asking for a new truck. Any suggestions on why this would happen?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    1996 cascadia ? No wonder electronics were confused they were 13 years ahead of their time ..

4. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    The Sad day has come....that truck is telling you its worthless and will strand you out in the middle of nowhere.

My suggestion is bolt a chain to it and use it for an anchor on a cargo ship.

5. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    We have had more than one Freightliner do this often. One is only 2 years old. The shop keeps saying nothing is wrong. I drove an older Freightliner, just pulled out of the Pilot and lost power 3 times before I got to the highway. Didn't happen again all day but I was fearful of passing anyone that day.

6. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    What do you mean the after treatment system? The truck is shutting down so you dont crack your head, or do other damage. I am assuming you have a Detroit 12.7. You may have a bad water pump

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Unfortunately you dont have a 96' model anything with aftertreatment.

Radiator plugged with debris?
    Battery connections?

magoo68 and DustyRoad Thank this.
  8. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    You should learn more about your truck and like others have said you dont have any after treatment or DPF or emissions on a 96 freightshaker except possibly a pvc valve??

9. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    How can a mechanic say it was the after treatment on a 96. Geez Louise. Wonder what kind of mechanic HE is.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  10. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I am thinking he misquoted the mechanic....

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    One that obviously found a guy they can fleece. Doesn't mean the mechanic is incompetent, just means he's a crook.

The take away is while a driver doesn't need to know how to do a full inframe he should at leas know the basics like a 96 doesn't have an after treatment, or for that matter was a cascadia built in 96 (Although it could be a glider w/ a 96 power train)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.