Engine Odometer vs Total Engine Run Time when buying a truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sooopertrucker, Apr 25, 2019.

1. sooopertrucker

sooopertrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Hey guys,

When buying a used truck, how much emphasis would you put on the total Engine run time, and how would you value idle time?

Example, I am looking at two trucks right now and here are their stats (other than stats mentioned, both are identical);

1. 2016 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution
    Odo: 560,000 Miles
    Engine Run Time: 18,000 Hours
    Avg Speed: 31miles/hour (Assuming cruise speed of 62mph, this truck idles 50% of the time)
    Price: $48,000

2. 2016 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution
    Odo: 480,000 Miles
    Engine Run Time: 10,000 Hours
    Avg Speed: 48miles/hour (Assuming cruise speed of 62mph, this truck idles 33% of the time)
    Price: $65,000

What is this lesser idle time worth if anything when making a purchase?

Secondary question: How do you test health of the after treatment system, for engine I understand you can test oil sample, blow by, compression test, and dyno. Are there any tests you can do before purchasing to similarly diagnose the after treatment system?

Thank you

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    How do you know it was idle time? Maybe one truck worked more regional than the other? Or spent more time pulling grades vs flat driving?

sooopertrucker Thanks this.
  4. sooopertrucker

Apr 12, 2019
    Both trucks are from same company, they ran usually from Toronto, ON to Greater Chicago Area.

I understand there can be major variations, I am mostly interested in the general question; How do you value idle time, given similar circumstances and how do you test the after treatment system pre-purchase to see if the increased idle time has negatively affected the systems.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    A typical first time truck buyer, chooses between half a million miles fleet dumped trucks
    (No offense OP, it's just very stereotypical)

6. sooopertrucker

Apr 12, 2019
    After the feedback on my first post I've actually decided to hold off on buying the truck for now, just browsing, seeing what's on the market and trying to figure out how to diagnose after treatment system prior to purchase.

I suppose your suggestion would be to look for a o/o upgrading or getting out of the business? If so, I am looking for that elusive o/o.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Apparently the Truck sellers have set the value, reflected in the examples. I’m assuming they’re both offered by same Party. From what I’ve heard, idle time has a very negative effect on the emmision control systems. However, I can say, I’d buy # 2 Truck, over # 1 because of price alone. And avoid idling.

sooopertrucker Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Keep looking, Soon to be some very good deals on low mileage repos and volutary turn ins. Dealers lots will be full of them. Any serious buyer will have their pick.

9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    For the DPF there is a back pressure sensor that gives an idea of how soon until a cleaning is needed. That may be helpful to go along with a dyno. At least on a Cummins there is.

Not a bad idea holding off as used truck prices are in the process of going down down down.

sooopertrucker and Scottyotty1 Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This is why you get a full ECM dump, the idle hours are there to see.

roshea and jammer910Z Thank this.
  11. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Those prices are a little high. I would keep looking

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.