Enjoying the OTR life but miss being home.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Iwant2driveallday, Apr 26, 2015.

1. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I have a brutal winter schedule as well. Haul a 53' with gas to the local Fred Meyers. Then come back grab my preloaded 53' Jet trailer and run to airport and pump fuel not dump. Then come back and do 20 homes of home heating. Then make another fred meyers load come back and load all 3 for morning. 12 hours daily all winter. Pay is only 24 an hour but I can work as much as I want. Average 60 hours a week. The home heating is the worst. 200 feet of hose behind homes around cars and Icy steep frozen driveways. Throw chains 2-5 times a day when its super crappy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ctoles86

ctoles86 Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    akfisher-
    that's good money who do you work for?

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't trust the ones that offer OT. People delude themselves if they think the company will not do everything they can to limit a driver's hours.

They're only working 4 days a week at the nearby Fedex terminal.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  5. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I am local and we have issues finding drivers in Alaska. This is where its at boys. We are a great state and more than enough work for guys who can drive and stay sober. Thats why I get massive OT. Still at 24 an hour and a 50 hour work week we live well. I just do it from October-May then I Fish in Summer. Companies called Delta Western part of Saltchuk Inc

ctoles86 Thanks this.
  6. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    There's no social life in trucking even local. If you work only 8-9hrs a day then yes. But most companies try to work you 12-14hrs. Plus the pay for 8-9hrs sucks unless you are single, rent a studio apt and don't have a car payment. Then 8hrs a day can work if a company schedules you like that.

7. Iwant2driveallday

Iwant2driveallday Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Baldwinsville New York

I live with my parents saving my money have some in the bank get some stuff for my race car. Down the road i'm gonna go local talked to a company New Penn should not have trouble getting in when i'm ready. Off weekends and nights all I need. I have no bills so no big deal on the pay.

8. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Sounds good. Being your age being OTR or working a lot of hours will quickly get on your nerves. Even at New Penn you'll be making more then most OTR drivers out there and be home. Doesn't mean you can't ever go OTR. Maybe when you get older you might want to venture that route. Hell im 37 and I feel too young to be a OTR driver. I might look into it when I'm older cause I do like the life style and going to new places. But I have hobbies and a house that I want to maintain. I like being around my home for now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.