Equal balancing on drives? and truck shaking

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by marpolsdofer, May 15, 2020.

1. marpolsdofer

marpolsdofer Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Anyone know if you are to balance each tire on duels or just the outside. I do not see why a single 11r22.5 would take 10oz but then a dual would take 12oz if you have to balance each wheel.

I got this shaking on a 07 Sterling lst 9000 straight truck (drywall boom truck). It is intermittent shake, goes away, shake, goes away, shake goes away. The intensity varies day to day with some days never having it.
    Alignment was done less 18k ago (about 2 years) only needed minor adjustments.
    All the drives are new less then 8k (10 months old). The front tires I am replacing over the weekend and I think front right tire might have been the issue.
    The issue was there before the new drives as well.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Check shocks, too, along with springs.

4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Could be lots of things. It sounds like you can rule out the tires and balance issue if it was there before you replaced tires and is still there with the new ones.
    That kind of stuff is tough to narrow down.
    The way you say it comes and goes is gonna make it hard to diagnose.
    Thinking out the box question. Do you run the exact same route the same way everyday and it comes and goes at the same place on the road at the same speed because the road surface Is creating a strange harmonic pattern that the truck is reacting to? I can hear thumps and hums and feel vibes from certain places in the road that I don’t feel or hear if in a different lane or speed or sometimes in a different vehicle doing the exact same speed and lane.

5. marpolsdofer

Apr 7, 2015
    No shocks on the front cause it is a heavy spec axle (20k) and spring and shackles looked good to me and shop agreed. The shocks on the rear was done a month before the drive tires. Shaking has been like this before everything and after everything. The only thing that has not been done yet is the front tire but shaking feels more like the rear.
    I do know that some people have had mystery shakes before on freightliner rear ends but I have a freightliner tuftrac 46k suspension so there is no airbags that usually cause it. Sometime I hear it is the link from the chassis to the suspension but that was fine so I am told.

Anyway yes or no to both tires on dual. Makes no senses why you would need more if you balance both.

6. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Each tire should be balanced individually. The weights will very from each one. Some take more some take less. Sometimes one may take zero and the one next to it may need 16oz.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  7. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    on a truck tire anything 20 oz. and under per side of wheel is golden.

8. marpolsdofer

Apr 7, 2015
    I don't run the same route ever, it different every day. It happens on all roads smooth and bumpy. It it just easy to tell on a smooth road when it it happening.
    There is always one think that makes it happen. When it is windy and pushing on the side ioof the truck it always happens.
    Load placement and when the tires warm it is tend to change it. It happens 50-58 but it has happen faster and slower.
    No thumping or humming. Steering wheel does not shake but I know a few heavy dump truck owns that said they had front tires cause shaking that fell like the rear end. Since they have 2 steering box like I do they think it it being adsorbed.

Either way shake or no shake, I can not have a drink that does not have a screw on cap. I don't ever get to run it at it max load so every bump jut makes my drink go all over the place.

9. marpolsdofer

Apr 7, 2015
    Equal is saying 18oz for 425/65r22.5 (my steers) and 10oz for singles/12oz for duels 11r/22.5(my drives). I usually never balance my drive cause I tend to have a drive tire or 2 go out every year and some just dry rot out before I even wear the tread out. I did just say that also because I never run max load the ride is rough. So minor shakes don't bother my.

10. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The wind pushing on it may be making it lean on suspension or twist the frame just enough to make the driveline be a little out of angle and make it shake. Does it do it worse if pushing from the right or left or does it not matter. Drywall is some heavy stuff and with a crane it works the heck out of the frame. Does it do it worse when loaded or the same empty?

11. marpolsdofer

Apr 7, 2015
    Seems when the wind is pushing right it is the worst.. So if it was my steer wight would be pushed on that side. It can happen loaded and unload but as I say if you get placement right it goes away.
    My GVWR could be 90k (I have tag and pusher axles)if I was allowed to run max axle weight but you know with out that I can be 78k. I however do not register for that, I am set for 66k. 1. I don't get to many loads that get to the 25k range and when I do they take up my whole bed anyway. 2. Most of my total loads are 15k and still take up all my bed. 3. Hard to even get 25k on there and distribute it with out going over legal axle weight.
    Yes there is a lot of twist during operation but the frame rails are beefed up pretty good with with a 2nd set on on top and another set inside the main set.
    I test drove a few slightly older ones that had way more hours and mile and they did not have this shaking problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.