Espar Bunk Heater Yearly Preventative Maintenance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jerry12, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Last time the heater was overhauled, do it every few years. The full kit was like $85.00. Takes about 2 hours to pull the unit, overhaul, reintall and test fire.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Ok. I hadn’t thought about the bunk heater yet. It’s winter! Time to bundle up. Gain weight. Make Christmas shopping lists..

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Techitrucker

Techitrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    There is a flame sensor towards the front of the unit under the cover. It's easy to replace but more often it gets dust buildup under it causing poor readings. Just follow the directions to replace the sensor but just clean it up as well as the place it clips into before investing in a new one.
    https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/fil...r_Manual_2015__7th_Draft-Revised__09-15-2.pdf

shatteredsquare and mitmaks Thank this.
  5. Troady

Troady Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    I am not mechanical inclined and rather let professionals do the job. Where do you go to give maintenance to the heater?

6. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    any thermoking shop...it's like 200 bucks for a brand new burner chamber and gasket. I got the burner chamber swapped out and the whole thing rebuilt alongside a tripac service and the whole job was right around 600 bucks. Now I've got a burner chamber with a bunch of carbon build up...soak it in some geedunk and next winter I'll just bring that old one and get it swapped out again

7. Jamesgibbons

Jamesgibbons Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Does anyone remember the gasoline heaters in the early. VW busses now there was a cooker.

8. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    Crazy that the above linked Espar repair manual doesn't mention that if you operate above 5000' much you either need to set it for high altitude or buy the expensive "Eberspacher High Altitude Kit".

While some of the newer models have it built in the older models will burn way too rich above 5000' (~1500 M) and will typically have a lot of carbon buildup.

I am at almost 7000' but we start to get carbon build up and flame outs all the time on the Webasto hydronic units when the CO2 calibration isn't set for the altitude. It really ruins you morning when the timer didn't pre-warm the engine as expected.

9. Buckeyes614

Buckeyes614 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    If you haven't turned on ur espar bunk heater since spring and it won't start up now in the fall, you have to prime it.

If you have a tripac evolution, you have to turn ur heater on for 2mins, then turn ur heater off, wait for 1min then repeat the process again, your gonna have to do this for about 3-4 times till you feel the heat come on.

The reason why you turn ur heater on and off is so that ur fuel pump primes ur fuel line, the first time you turn it on ur fuel pump will only pull small amount of fuel to ur fuel line before it shuts of, you have to keep turning it on and off till it pulls enough fuel till it reaches ur heater, it takes about 3-4 cycles depending on how long ur fuel line is

msh Thanks this.
  10. msh

msh Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Los Angeles, CA
    why D2 smokes during fire up when cold? what's the problem?

11. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    atomizer screen and breather hole in burner chamber clogged with soot, inline filter screen in the pump probably clogged too. get a maintenance kit (filter + screen + gaskets) and a slotted socket to take out the glow plug. the rest is all T25 torx and 10mm sockets to get it apart

msh Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.