Espar heater starting to fail

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by PermanentTourist, Dec 31, 2019.

1. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    So my espar heater is having a hard time starting. When I turn it on, it starts blowing cold air, goes through the click-click-click phase, and then shuts down and tries again. Eventually, after three or five tries, fires up into jet engine mode and runs fine.

Any ideas? Maybe the start up sparker is going bad? I don't know anything about these things tbh.

I could maybe leave it alone and hope it makes it through the winter as is, but I'd like to at least pick up the spare parts in case it totally craps out. I like this heater, hate to keep the truck running just for heat on a 30 degree night.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Check the fuel pump. My espar is having the same problem it will blow cold air then shutdown and repeat about 3 times.. The fuel pump is getting stuck. Go outside find where the fuel pump is start up the bunk heater and feel the fuel line and fuel pump if u feel any fuel pumping or not. If u dont feel anything then if it has the rubber piece holding it on then slip fuel pump thru the rubber piece grab a screw driver or small hammer and tap outside metal piece on fuel pump until u start to feel it pumping fuel . if that doesnt work then the pump is probably clogged and needs changed out . they are about 200 dollars give or take online for a new one. But it should start working if u tap on it a good 20 or 30 times

Hye and PermanentTourist Thank this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    It has a glow plug that has a screen that can clog.
    Some have good luck running it on kerosene for 15 to 30 mins. Burns off the carbon.

Hye, mhyn, nikmirbre and 2 others Thank this.
  5. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Thanks, I will look into it. The tapping is probably not an every night in the cold type of solution though, but changing the fuel pump is a good idea if it is indeed failing.

6. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Where does one even buy kerosene outside of the 19th century? And if I do manage to acquire this obsolete liquid, do I just pull the fuel line from the tank and stick it into the kerosene and just start it up as normal?

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Remove fuel filter and try it again for 2-3 times

8. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Do I put a new fuel filter afterwards?

9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I bought a gallon at a hardware store. Not cheap.
    Yes, I just undid the hose at my fuel tank pickup, and stuck it in the jug.

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  10. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Hmm, thanks. Sounds like a good easiest first step to try, before going to the "pulling apart the heater with special tools" and "hitting the pump with hammers" stages.

11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I use a kerosene heater. You can buy a quart to half gallon at Walmart. If you buy from a gas station make sure that it doesn’t have red dye in it.

mhyn and PermanentTourist Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.