Estes combination local/regional vs OTR

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Blowinsmoke87, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Blowinsmoke87

Blowinsmoke87 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Hiddenite, nc
    So I put in my application for both positions out of the Conover, NC terminal. Got a call from Richmond last week and have and interview set up for Tuesday. With that being said can anyone give me any info one the differences between the two and if it’s a good terminal. It don’t seem like they hire that much out of Conover and anyone I have run into out of there has been there quite sometime.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Don't go combo. It pays less and it's a dead end. You'll be switching between dock, city and linehaul as a combo driver.

Go OTR..Youll make more money and start accumulating seniority.

motocross25 and Blowinsmoke87 Thank this.
  4. Blowinsmoke87

Jun 9, 2013
    Hiddenite, nc
    Thanks for the info!!! So once you get some seniority can you eventually bid on a line haul gig to get home more often. I stay out weekly now so I don’t mind it but with 2 kids at home now and another on the way I would eventually like to get to be home with them some.

5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    X2 on what @HoustonTrucker said. If I remember right the Conover NC terminal is an end of the line terminal, meaning all the freight that comes into them, is destined for them. If it was a HUB or a break-bulk, the combo spot wouldn’t be bad because a lot of the terminals use combo guys to cover vacations. So like when I was in St Louis, 80+ scheduled runs, with guys that been there awhile means ALOT of vacation to cover, and it’d be interesting filling in for different runs every week and not doing the same thing. But at a smaller terminal you’ll be hopping wherever they need you, for less pay, and combo seniority doesn’t count for linehaul if and when a spot opens up. In your case, OTR for sure. Being in NC you’ll do a lot of east coast stuff and probably see West Middlesex PA every week at least once, but you’ll never hafta break a trailer of floor loaded tires in August as a dock worker being Combo!

Blowinsmoke87 Thanks this.
  6. Blowinsmoke87

Jun 9, 2013
    Hiddenite, nc
    Thanks for the good info @motocross25!!! I will definitely be taking the OTR position if offered to me. I make good money now so the less money being a combo driver don’t sound to appealing. Would you happen to knw starting pay, and an average yearly gross as an OTR driver. I stay between 65,000 to 73,000 at my current job!!

motocross25 Thanks this.
  7. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    If you'll be on extraboard id say youd'd make a good deal more than $73000. However, you'e on the east coast and you'll end up in the northeast quite often which has lots of shirt hop trips. I think you'll still come out ahead of your current situation.

On extra board how much you make is dependant on how heavy is the freight in your general region, and how hard you want to run. If you'e willing to stay out a 6th day or more than a week at a time youll.obviously make more.

I don't know anything about the terminal you'e looking at but being that it is a smaller end of line terminal you might get lucky and hire on directly onto a
    scheduled run, but I wouldn' count on it.

Blowinsmoke87 and motocross25 Thank this.
  8. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    No problem, anytime. I cannot for the life of me remember the starting pay for an extra board driver. 58 cpm seems to ring a bell but again, I’m not sure. You get a penny raise every 6 months til you top out is how they did it when I was there, and it takes 3 years. But I think it’s more aggressive now and maybe only takes 2 years to reach full scale. I would say crackin 75k on extraboard is attainable. As mentioned, some weeks you’ll be runnin short, you get up in the northeast and Estes has terminals within like 30 miles of each other it seems. But you get paid for breaking and hooking your sets so that adds up also. I think it’s $7.50 to split them and $7.50 to build them. I’m not sure how much experience you have with doubles, but after a little while you’ll be able to turn and burn in no time.

9. Blowinsmoke87

Jun 9, 2013
    Hiddenite, nc
    @HoustonTrucker @motocross25 i really appreciate all the feed back. As far as having experience pulling doubles I have none which I hope 10 years driving experience, no accidents or tickets will help them from writing me off for lack of doubles experience. As with any change I’m a little nervous but my interview is at 1 tomorrow so hopefully everything goes well and after talking to you guys I will definitely be trying for the OTR !!

motocross25 Thanks this.
  10. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Oh yea they hire guys with no doubles experience all the time. You’ll be alright. Good luck!

11. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Best bet is to go OTR/extra board. The problem is probably your terminal AND... THE... EAST.... COAST. EVERYONE knows east isn't where you want to be because the terminals are too close and you can't make no money. I'm from Memphis, and the freight flows like water. Combo in your situation is a death trap because you'll mostly be on the dock. It's not even close compared to linehaul extra board. Not to mention less politics and you mostly deal with Central vs the terminals. You have more freedom extra board and not as many eyes watching. I can't tell you when was the last time I started my weeks on nights. The terminal boss hasn't seen me since early January and I plan on keeping it that way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.