ESTES Express (5 Year Review)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by KaoMinerva, Oct 3, 2018.

1. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    I've stayed out at Estes. They don't care dude that'll feed you actually. I'd recommend getting closer to central to anyone. They used to call me personally and set up loads going west because they knew I liked them.

Speedy356 and Rand0 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rand0

Rand0 Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2024

Thanks for this. Yeah they seemed pretty happy about me wanting to stay out on the road. I see from this thread it’s better to travel west and south (except CA) than to stay in the northeast, so I’ll definitely try to let central know I’m interested in venturing out further. I’m tired of the northeast anyway and want to see more. I love the idea of having my breaks in other states, and I have family out west, so I’m hoping to get close to there on my breaks so I can see them too. But I realize at the end of the day, I’m there to move the freight they need, so I’m focused on the work they need me to do, wherever that is.

How was it for you when you traveled out? What’s the longest you stayed out? Did you travel light? Also did you pretty much eat out every day/meal? I’m used to that, but I just wish to be able to buy a little more at a time without it spoiling, so I don’t have to stop as much.

Speedy356 Thanks this.
  4. KaoMinerva

Feb 5, 2016
    I would usually pack for a week but when I'm out and I need more I'll just buy it. The goal for me was to get to El Paso. That's the money spot. I've called central plenty of times and asked them not to send me home from there. Way too much money!

Rand0 and dwells40 Thank this.
  5. EstesWest

EstesWest Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2023
    Good thing about a cooler on wheels is that it can act as part of a three piece bed in the cab, add a mat and pillow, then when ever your tired or can't find a hotel room, you have something to fall back on. I still use this one daily even for my scheduled run. Amazon.com : Coleman Portable Rolling Cooler | 50 Quart Xtreme 5 Day Cooler with Wheels | Wheeled Hard Cooler Keeps Ice Up to 5 Days : Coolers : Sports & Outdoors

Don't overbuy supplies, weekly or 3 day tops, plenty of walmarts to bobcat too or even stop in at on the road. Hotels are your friend, prepare meals in your room and for the next day on the road. Stay out 2-3 months at a time, Central will love you. Don't forget points at hotels (I'm still using mine) for free stays, points at Love's, free supplies and refills, 6th day driving $100 bonus for the week, even xtra board.

dwells40 and jmz Thank this.
  6. Nickanator1988

Nickanator1988 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2022

You may or may not know the answer to this question but most ltl guys know drivers from other carriers. I got a job offer at OD in the process of on board with them at the moment.

But do they offer any 6th day bonus if you stay out longer then 5 days? The terminal manager said they will only let you stay out for 2weeks at a time.. i applied for a team driving position in Atlanta, Ga.. i guess ill ask all these questions in orientation im just overly excited i suppose lol.

viper822004 and dwells40 Thank this.
  7. EstesWest

Apr 24, 2023
    No idea, LTL is different with each carrier and even at our own terminals to a degree. OD is a good outfit, good luck!!

dwells40 and Nickanator1988 Thank this.
  8. KaoMinerva

Feb 5, 2016
    It's always a good read when you show up. You're very knowledgeable. Every now and again I get the itch to go extra board. I really miss being on the road. I may actually consider it this summer if they can give me a good truck.

We have some total crap at my terminal.

9. EstesWest

Apr 24, 2023
    Not I, lol. Nothing like being home every night. Set schedule, regular sleep pattern. Can always do a 6th day, now I meet my regular run meet driver for the 6th day. If you have Saturday/Sunday off do a layover every other weekend, get that sixth day over for two weeks in one shot. Get that staying out bull satisfied, chuckle.

viper822004 and dwells40 Thank this.
  10. KaoMinerva

Feb 5, 2016
    Unfortunately for me I work Tuesday to Saturday all day shift. I tried to work Sunday and they shut it down lol.

dwells40 and EstesWest Thank this.
  11. Phantom_3oh9

Phantom_3oh9 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2024
    That was how we had to open every trailer at Yellow ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.