Ethanol in the gasoline

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by GasHauler, Jan 30, 2012.

1. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

We can still get regular unleaded at 87 octane locally, in some states it is hard to come by. It costs from 7 to 20 cents more per gallon, usually 10 cents.

Citgo makes a big deal of having no ethanol in their gas in other areas like WI. I don't know about MN, I don't go up there much by car anymore. I drive lots in WI and IL.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    Maybe some of the Midwestern or wisconsin gas haulers will answer. I dont know where Kwik-Trip gets their gas, But believe me, i can tell the difference when i buy gas there. I can see better performance and a little more MPG's with their gas.

4. casc1

casc1 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2011
    toronto
    Probably non-ethanol regular.

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I just read that EPA approved E15 for 2001 or newer vehicles. How are they going to know who to sell the E15 to? Are they going to check like red dye diesel to make sure your driving a 2001 or newer vehicle?

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    if you drained the gas bowls on your power tools. you see what ethanol is doing.

sure the equipment will run. but sooner or later you're going to see a big problem. stabilizer or no.

while my car doeosn't seem to be effected. my motorcycle gets about 2 miles less with ethanol. 2 years ago when i bought my bike i had to clean the carbs. and drove 3 months before parking for the winter. come spring i pulled the bowls and the bottoms were filled with a brownish crap.

i have an aux tank for my bike. it needs a new filter once a month.

Marksteven Thanks this.
  7. Taildragon

Taildragon Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana
    If I remember right the MTBE came along after they outlawed lead in the gasoline. I was listening to the AM 700 channel in Cinncinati a month or so ago around 2 a.m. and the very topics discussed in this thread were being discussed. A fuel hauler from the midwest was saying that if you don't want ethanol in your gasoline around here that you need to but the marine grade of gasoline at the boat docks, he said that is pretty much all he runs now, but that it is more expensive. I have a 1943 John Deere that I have been adding lead substitute to the gas for years now, can't tell a difference in performance, but the exhaust smells a little different. I have a 1991 Cadillac that I use 91 0ctane in and I notice that the exhaust really has an odor, kind of like old stale gasoline, and the performance doesn't seem to be there. The caddy only has 86,000 miles and looks like a million bucks inside and out, I don't know whether to sell it or go looking for the marine gas and try that, but the guy on the radio said it was more expensive so ??

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Iowa had non ethanol regular and then ethanol blend, 3 points higher in octane and around 10 cents a gallon cheaper. The cheaper was because of lower fuel tax used as a subsidy

I have noticed most premium grades in Wisconsin have no ethanol but even the regular 87 octane gas has ethanol, up to 10% and that is even at Kwik Trip.

The older Caddy may have issues with the fuel system or even the air cleaner(yes, that's what was affecting one of my 3 cars with 3800 Series II engines)or it might be, and probably is, something else. I'd suggest trying some non alcohol premium of at least 93 octane and see if that helps. Aviation gas or marine gas should not be necessary.

Heet is basically anhydrous ethanol, except for the higher priced variants, which are other forms of alcohol.

9. Taildragon

Taildragon Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I might be wrong but I think our premium has ethanol in it here, I'm going to start looking around at the different vendors and see if I can find out, the 93 octane isn't available where I've been getting gas, I am going to check that out as well, because I know that is available here in town, I just don't remember where. Thanks

10. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Ahh memory lane...... When I first started in gas we had to blend the ethanol BUT we only got one money for the load....SO a senior driver told me to just stuff the product on the transport and dump the blend first then the unleaded over the top....poof! It's mixed.

11. MommaMilli

MommaMilli Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Not a trucker, just a trucker's momma...and I know you all have one :angel1: Okay, so a few months ago my dump-trucker son (asphalt) mentioned the problems with ethanol. Did my research and found a station close to me selling non-eth in the 91 octane, sign on all pumps stating so. After a few calculations, I figured that the horrible mpg I was getting in my little 2001 Alero (28,000 mi--had only 18k on it when I purchased it in 2008 might benefit from it. You can see from that little of driving that it sits for long periods at a time. At age 69, this is hopefully the last car I will ever drive and I can ill-afford any major engine repair.

Ran the tank nearly dry 2 times so am now on my third full fill-up. Previous mpg (combo road & city) was between 18-22; far less than mfgr stats.First tank I got 22. Second tank got 26, nearly all highway. I made a point of driving long distances just to run out any vestiges of ethanol. At $.40 more per gallon, that 26mpg paid for itself. I expect similar great results from this current tank.

Also I had a sweet little 2-cycle electric-start $700 Lawn-Boy. Serviced every year, it just got more and more difficult to start with key and even my son pulling could not get it started. I had it back at the shop multiple times and they never mentioned to NOT use ethanol which I didn't know then. Ended up selling the 8-yr old mower for $200. :crybaby: Always blamed the repair shop, but am now inclined to think it was the ethanol. Have just purchased another electric start LB (regrettably, not a 2-cycle) and will put nothing but pure-gas in it now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.