Ethical...well, not really ethical but looking for opinions

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Rusty Trombone, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Rusty Trombone

Rusty Trombone Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2019
    So I currently drive for a paper company and am looking to branch out into the LTL world. I got a call from a carrier earlier and things seemed to go well. He seemed interested, pending the outcome of the assessment test. My boss is taking a few weeks vacation the first half of June and if things go well with the carrier that will probably be around the time I’m getting hired with them.

Problem is the branch of the company I’m with is very small. It’s just me and my boss, so I pretty much have to take care of things when he’s gone. It would put him in a bit of a spot if I was gone during his vacation time. So I’m wondering what you guys would do, just give a standard two weeks notice or tell my potential new employed that I can’t start until mid June when he gets back?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Who benefits You or them? In other words why do you want out so bad?

When you did not share why you want out in the first instance then we have to wonder.

Texas_hwy_287 and road_runner Thank this.
  4. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Is there another qualified person the company can move in until your boss gets back? I've worked at a small facility and they would bring in personnel as needed to cover other accounts.

Be wary about giving your notice until you have a firm job offer. Beyond that, two weeks notice is standard. The rest isn't your problem unless you feel like doing them a favor. Personally, I dont do favors anymore because they always end up as missed opportunities for me.

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If when boss gets back from time off and he cant meet other jobs money diff. then tell him you need time off. Then go to new job just to feel them out, they have not called to ck. your records or you wood have been called out on the boss mans carpet, most of these co. dont even start ck till you get to their term.

6. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    It depends on whether you’re inclined to burn any bridges or not, which based on your tone here, you’re not inclined to do (which is a good thing). Sounds like you’re just looking to try something different.

Find out specifically when the potential employer would expect you to be on the job, it doesn’t hurt to ask him if he would give you the window you need. If he can’t, then you need to be absolutely sure this is a move you want to make.

Then it sounds like you need to figure out the best time to give notice. As @Naptown implied, it depends if you’re wired to feel obligated to do your current employer any favors, while at the same time, not losing an opportunity. The company should be able to figure out how to cover the gap: after all, what happens if you get sick or injured while your boss is on vacation? They need to have some kind of backup plan in place.

7. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    If hes a good guy and the job had been good for you, give proper notice and stick it out unless they can let you off the hook early. Up and quitting is a pretty dick move (with obvious exceptions)

Anybody thats reasonable and worth working for can respect that and probably expects the same in return

tommymonza, Grumppy and JReding Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Nice guys finish last in trucking. My 1st trucking job was like that. I hated the job ( R model Mack) but the guy was a great boss and didn't want to hurt his feelings by quitting, but I did, and never looked back. Up to you. He'll get along just fine.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i am not familiar with any "assessment test"..

go thru the normal procedures for getting hired, then just wait for the word on when you can start, the give your 2 week notice, and be gone.

that's all you can do, that's all you have to do.

you have to think about YOU and your future, not someone else's.

had it been me, i'd just up and leave once the job offer and start date are etched in stone. as i too in the past have been burnt by employers, when i did the right thing, and gave notice.

as a result, i no longer gave any notice i was leaving, it was simply, clean out truck and leave.

don't worry about your current boss's vacation time, that's why he is the boss, he can easily change his time off.

10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I tend to treat people like they treat me. If the present company & boss was good to me (and it sounds like he was), I'd get with the new company & let them know I couldn't start until "X" date. I'd stay with the current company until the boss got back. I'd give the boss a heads up before he leaves on vacation so he could hopefully get someone in place & being trained by you to take over when you leave.

On the other hand, if I misunderstood your post, & the company & boss didn't give me respect, I'd be more inclined to move on & let him fend for himself. In my opinion, that would really be low to leave him with no one while he is on vacation, or have him cancel his vacation because I left. But if he didn't respect me, no reason I should treat him any different.

11. Rusty Trombone

Rusty Trombone Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Nope, you understood perfectly. What you said is probably what I’ll do. I’ll just give a start date of when he gets back from vaca, unless the new company says they need me to start sooner than that, in which case my boss is s.o.l. I would have to imagine a potential employer would look at me trying to help my boss out as a positive thing. Seems it would speak to my work ethic and character.

Oh, and for those who asked, I’m leaving because the hourly wage is low. Only $16 an hour. It’s class B, but still seems low. The job I’m hoping for starts you in a straight truck then trains you to get the class A, and starts off like $5 more than I’m making now.

Texas_hwy_287, Grumppy, jmz and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.