Ethical...well, not really ethical but looking for opinions

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Rusty Trombone, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Rusty Trombone

Rusty Trombone Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2019
    I definitely want to start training as early as I can to get the lost experience I can with trailers before I take the test.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rusty Trombone

Apr 14, 2019
    Why is it the hardest? I figured tractors would be harder. Is there a lot of hand unloading with the straights or something?

Hell its worth it even just with the starting wage in the straight. Over $6 an hour more than I’m making now. Of course my goal is to get in the tractors but I’ll be perfectly happy with the $22 an hour running the straight truck.

Bob Dobalina and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    no forklifts allowed in the straights. all pallet jacking on and off......

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  5. Rusty Trombone

Apr 14, 2019
    Ah I gotcha. That’s not too bad. It’s what I’m doing now. Some of the pallets weigh up to 2000# so I got no problem with that at all.

6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Also more actual hand unloading at weird places. For example, I was sent out with a straight truck once to deliver playground equipment to a church/school/daycare situation. All of the metal bars that make up swingsets and stuff. Drag it all to the tail, jump down and physically take each big pipe out and set it to the side where they wanted it without any help.

It's not all like that, but you will definitely load up your own route at the beginning of the day. It's just a more physical job, that's all.

Rusty Trombone Thanks this.
  7. ZachG91

ZachG91 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Dayton, Ohio
    I start tomorrow in Dayton. not really looking forward to the first day, but at least I'm not delivery groceries anymore. need to change my profile picture I suppose lol

8. Bob Dobalina

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    There's a slight chance I might see you this week. I'm usually going through there on my way home in the morning. What is your start time during training? I usually roll through before the city drivers come in, but if it's a long night I do see the early p&d guys.

9. ZachG91

Jul 1, 2017
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'll be in at 830.

10. Bob Dobalina

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    In that case I hope I never see you!

(I'd rather not be working past 10am if I can help it...)

Keep us posted!

11. ZachG91

Jul 1, 2017
    Dayton, Ohio
    Haha I dont blame you. I know I'm not going out tomorrow. TM said something about a meeting for new ELD equipment and then I think I pretty much have to do paperwork. Sounds like a boring first day

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.