Evaluating A Motor Carrier - The Interview

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TurboTrucker, Aug 13, 2005.

1. YbeLegal

YbeLegal Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Ca

After you get done with all of the above go to safeStat and run their dot # and find out what the bears think... http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/SafeStatMain.asp

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Driver287

Driver287 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2009
    North Manchester, IN
    Great Post, one thing you didn't mention (maybe I missed it) is dress codes/uniforms.
    What dress codes are applicable, can one wear long hair, beard, earring, etc? Are tattoos allowed? Would I be expected to look like a clone of the ideal company driver?

4. mrE

mrE Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2009
    somewhere down south
    Would I be expected to look like a clone of the ideal company driver?[/QUOTE]

yeah or can I look like the typical pig,or slobs that we seem to have out here any more.smelling like they haven't took a shower in a month,or at least shaved and changed their clothes.I wear a uniform shirt by choice,I'm not required to.I shower and shave every single day.and I keep a clean truck
    always. guess I'm a clone.what would you have me do now master?

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I gotta be honest with you.If I was a recruiter and a potential new-hire called me and started to ask me all these questions, I would catch on by about the 3-4th question and then turn the tables and start messing with his mind. Such as munching on a bag of peanuts or chips real loud into the phone and asking him to repeat the question. Then place him on hold for 5 minutes and ask who he is when I come back on. If he's Joe from Baltimore, I would say "you're Bill from Dallas, right?" Asking that much info is really wasting a recruiters time.

Rocks Thanks this.
  6. j_a_russo

j_a_russo Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you for this list, My wife and I are currently in school and are starting our application process and I am going to take a lot out of this post when I begin calling potential employers. Excellent post!!!

Joseph Russo

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I have to agree with Allow Me . It's an employers' market . The newbies don't pick the company . The company picks the newbies . Don't expect to find a company that hires trainees to fulfill half the hoped for questions on that list . You'll jump at whatever is offered or face needing a refresher course before being hired .

8. bduke

bduke Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Fontana, ca
    I agree but isn't it the recruiters job to lie to you and tell you what you want to hear in order for you to apply? It sure looks that way to me. If you think about it, if it is not in writing, then the recruiters words mean nothing to begin with. If that is true, which it is, then it only proves that even if it is written on paper, it can still be changed. Unless you are represented with a collective bargaining agreement (union), which I am not a member of, everything on paper means nothing. Companies can change anything on a whim. What are drivers to do? Quit? Maybe thats a good idea. Maybe then the companies would treat their drivers right and there wouldn't be the amount of turnover there is. Thats funny! A company treating their drivers right. A person can dream can't they? Good companies are out there though. I work for one of them. Just stay away from the usual suspects. They are easy to spot.

9. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Actually you are NOT wasting the recruiters time unless he's recruiting for a bottom feeder!
    My last 3 "phone interviews" in the last 15 years I told the recruiter that I needed to ask some questions so that we didn't WASTE each others time or loose money on tickets later and had no problem with the process and was actually thanked by one when we both decided I wouldn't drive for them due to several "bad" answers on their part! It saved them the cost of orientation and another turnover number!

Now this list and the other list on this forum is a tad bit long but when you copy and paste it to your computer you can alter it to your liking. Usually about 20 questions are most important. Trivial BS can be left for later!

10. ao2005

ao2005 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Beaverton, MI
  11. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Great list, but one thing I will agree with is recruiters will lie, so take what they say with a grain of salt, and talk to a minimum of ten drivers from the perspective company and get as much info from these drivers. The reason I say ask at least ten drivers, is because if you line ten seperate drivers up and ask them about the company you will get ten seperate and varied answers from each. You should be able to get a pretty good idea from these various drivers of what the company is really like.
    Either talk to them in truckstops, at shippers or recievers or holler at them on the CB and ask them if they will go to another channel other then 19 so you can ask them a few questions about there company without all the idiots on the CB getting involved in your conversation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.