...even more questions ?!...and some progress

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, Feb 18, 2024.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I did apply kilmat in my sleeper
    I am waiting on the dynacore dynamat
    should I fill places I point with fingers with some kind of foam or leave it alone ( I had an idea to drill some 1inch holes for foam expansion and use some foam )
    I used some wire splitters for my back panel lights pictured next to my laptop . what's the best way to attach them to back wall ( has to be attached to killmat ) , I was thinking 3m double side or use epoxy , dynamat dynacore will go over ...at the moment 45f outside , I worked inside and sleeper walls has some moisture accumulated due to not having any thermal insulation and temp differences, bit worried about vibration down the road ...want to do it once and forget about .
    only thing I am missing is 3/4 lights at the bottom ( 6 total , just like the top on the pic )

Attached Files:

Vampire and dosgatos Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would have put a ceramic paint coating on every surface that is exposed, using that as a thermal barrier to reduce heat transfer from the outside to the inside during summer and from the inside out. Those other products don't adhere to the surface well enough to be as effective as a 1mm thick coating that goes on liquid.

The other thing to consider is an additional thermal barrier before the insulation, this can be the bubble wrap stuff but an air pocket is needed for that. Once the thermo bleeding is stopped, then sound deadening and insulation (two different animals) can be applied.

Rideandrepair, wis bang and dosgatos Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve thought a lot about all this for my Truck. The dyna mat you already did is good for noise caused from vibration. Often used in cars with the big bass sub woofers. That’s stuffs heavy. The next layer should be a thicker less dense and lighter weight closed cell foam. It will insulate and due to thickness absorb noise as well as it travels. Needs to be self adhesive, or glued in place to avoid condensation. Condensation is the problem. Insulation either needs to breathe or be totally contained. Any layers that aren’t glued together will get condensation between them. I read on here somewhere about using a refrigeration product like armacell. It can be bought in sheets at hvac suppliers. Depending on cost. Might be the best product. Same stuff used on home a/c lines. Only sold in sheets. I made the mistake of layering rubber matting on my floor, under the factory foam. Made my floor perfectly flat and even. The problem is moisture between every layer. Imagine a cooler ice cold inside, warm outside. No air between surfaces. That’s what you want. Just my thoughts. Interesting post. Looks like a good start. Nice Truck.

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    started laying dynacore dynamat today , it is 1" thick and self-adhesive...will try to get some pics tomorrow

Rideandrepair and Ruthless Thank this.
  6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    some progress

Attached Files:

Oxbow, JonJon78 and Cat sdp Thank this.
  7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Pav, yours hands on I didn't know. They claim my Peterbilt is insulated but I'm not buying... LOL...

Looking forward to hearing about the results...

They "say" the insulation is good for both summer and winter...

Any word on the APU?

8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I will be happy if I will get apu up and running on the truck maybe sometimes in summer , as other member mentioned : sensors , belts etc ...it's kinda easier for me to spread pay here and there , rebuild stuff and avoid payments or lump sum at once , plus I have 3 other projects ( 2 bmw to swap complete interiors , one car turbo/manifold/front end/full suspension + coding , 1 mercedes bumpers paint and install , headlights/steering wheel coding , another wagon mercedes :) ...no time for work :)
    I also thinking about doing some custom interior in kw ...bit delaying it because everything cost money and I don't want to do half ### job

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.