Ever get derated to 5 mph because of no DEF when your def tank is full?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Jun 15, 2020.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    Yesterday I filled the def tank with eight gallons of def. This morning the def light is flashing along with the check engine and stop light on this 2015 freightliner. The def gauge says full.

Company road service thinks I am stupid and put diesel in the def tank but at least is sending out a TA service truck to come see what is wrong with me. He says no way should this happen if I really did put def in the def tank.

I can only go five mph in limp mode and stuck at Arconic dirt parking lot in Bettendorf IA. Not the best place to be broken down but at least there is a Casey's gas station down the road about half a mile.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    You're not out of DEF. The flashing light on the DEF gauge means you have an emissions fault. Could be DEF quality, contamination, bad NOx sensor, or fifty other things.
    The code set will give more information.

Woodys, 88228822, D.Tibbitt and 10 others Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    When their is a problem with the DEF system or sensors. That what happens. Fist your DEF light will flash. Then check engine light comes on. If driver keep driving or does not notice. I think the system is set let truck go 500 miles. If not fixed then the red engine light comes on and truck will limit speed to 5MPH. It could be bad sensor or low nox conversion. Something is messed up. They will need a computer to fix it and see what the computers are saying is wrong.

5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Try doing a parked Regen. If it's able to do one it may clear the 5 mph limit for you.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That sounds like your DPF maybe clogged. If you do a parked regen and it dont stay in it longer than 15 or 20 min, then your DPF is clogged. What type of truck do you have? What year?

7. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    You could go a little faster than 5 mph if you take speed sensor off.

88228822 Thanks this.
  8. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    Did parked regen but that did not change anything. Maybe it is bad def. I filled it up at the pfj in Covington Indiana. Company says they are not getting any fault readings sent so just got to wait for the TA guy to show up.

9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Basically, this happened to me just last Friday. It didnt derate so far as to make me go only 5 mph, but all lights came on & it derated back 25%. I'm in a 2019 Farmall (International). I got it to our dealer in town & they keep those "sensors" in stock because this is such an issue. The "sensor" is built into the whole pickup tube, gauge float & all-in-one thingy in the def tank. When the "sensor" goes out, the whole thing has to be removed from the tank & a new one installed. Takes about an hour to hour & a half... once they get started on it.

Need4Speed, MACK E-6 and Coffey Thank this.
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I had 2011 truck had same problem back then. Freightliner always did sames test to see what was wrong. First they would check DEF quality. Then they would test DEP pump output. They had to measure it in a cup. Then they check the Nox sensors. Mine was the Nox sensors. Then they would check get truck check for codes, if none send the way as fixed.

Then I had same code come back low Nox conversion. They did the same checks again. Since it was all good. Then they said it emissions box was bad on Freightliner with Detroit engine. The One Box. Hopefully it just a sensor. I don't think TA will do that kinda work on side of road even if it just sensor. Your probably have to get a tow truck. Hopefully not.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I remember one time my "check engine" light came on,, so i opened the hood and the engine was still there, so i guess a sensor was bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.