Every camera company is a bad company.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Shackdaddy, Dec 24, 2021.

1. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I like Canon.

LtlAnonymous, mjd4277 and Bumper Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    So do I... cannon.jpg

4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    LtlAnonymous, Bumper and Lonesome Thank this.
  5. ttnae

ttnae Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Interesting comment from a person that only considers his own situation. Insurance, liability, CSA and DOT are reason enough alone to support rear facing cameras. These are situations that I have worked on.

[1]A driver hit the wall in a way that no one would have thought anything other than distracted or drunk. The camera showed a collapse that detected an unknown medical condition.
    [2]A driver was stopped for having a phone in his hand. The rear facing camera proved otherwise. (This saved the driver and the company CCSA score)
    [3]A car slammed on its brakes and they accused the trucker of distracted driving. The outer camera showed the car and the inner camera proved that the driver was not doing anything but driving and paying attention. This saved potentially millions of dollars.

I could go on but you get the point. What you have to ask yourself is this "What am I doing illegal that I don't want to be caught doing"? If the answer is "Nothing" then what are you complaining about.

More info, NOONE is watching cameras, they don't have the time or manpower. There are events that trigger attention and they are VERY useful in helping companies teach and remind drivers that certain behaviors can now put them out of business via CSA scores. It's NOT about you dude.

Eddiec Thanks this.
  6. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I heard that they have A.I. computer techology now that monitors the feed and can react to drivers movements and speech. I do not trust them.

7. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Nope if you are living in a truck ,. especially.with your wife, an inward camera ain't cool.. anybody with a little common sense can figure that out..outward facing all day long. Oh well we are free to pick and choose and go to the companies that don't have them..mine doesn't and dont plan on it.

8. ttnae

ttnae Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Common sense? You live in the truck but it is not your "HOME" You pay a mortgage or rent for the rights that afford you the privacy that you speak of. In your home, you and the law make decisions about privacy. The company purchases a truck with sleeping quarters to allow you the convenience of resting comfortably without the hassles of hotel rooms etc. This may sound stupid but it is fact. Too often people make emotional statements of fact which are not fact. Your home is your home and your assigned truck is a tool that the company uses to generate revenue that they use to pay you.

Unless your wife is a co-driver, she is not companies priority. That said, I also am a firm believer in the inner camera being covered when the truck is parked. I bought Samsara camera covers for my drivers. Again, when the truck is moving, there shouldn't be anything going on that is of a private nature. You are at work and actually working when the truck is in motion. This industry carries a tremendous amount of liability that very few drivers understand. Maybe 2% get it.

9. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    You want a camera facing me? My pay goes from 95k per year to 195k. Period.

If you want outward front and side cameras no problem.

10. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Yes this industry carries a tremendous.amount of liability. I am for outward facing cameras all day long and even inward facing for day cabs. Just not inward facing for OTR drivers that live in that truck. If drivers want to work for a company such as your with inward facing cameras then that's their choice..I wish you all the best in your recruitment efforts. I am guessing you are a former OTR driver..maybe not? Yes if one chooses to work for a company with an inward facing then so be it. On the other hand, these companies should draw the line when it comes to a little #### privacy for their drivers. My wife and I like any couple have private conversations..yes it's common sense to have a little respect and decency for your drivers. As of late there are several megas that have scaled back the inward facing cams because of recruiting issues. It's all about that bottom dollar.at the expense of the driver at all costs.

Bumper Thanks this.
  11. westcoastie

westcoastie Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2022
    pacific NW
    Somebody cuts in front of me, I jam the brake, and presto - a video of me in an unguarded moment yelling stupid things at the windshield. At least with front facing only I won't look like a dummy, I'll just sound like a hothead and forward only video will sufficiently show the idiot who cut. Hopefully I won't be starring in a company training video.

And if your company has strict criteria for recordable events (there is no one-size-fits-all, what gets scrutinized is company specific) you can get flagged for rubbing your hand on your forehead if a video is tripped. Safety gets a copy sent to them, the next thing is you're messaged to call safety and told to think about shutting down for the day (for your own good, of course).

Also, I know that at least one camera monitor service can make any footage up 120 hours old available through "special order". So if someone calls your company and says you drove unsafely, the company can special order any video of a certain time period, whether you tripped it or not.

As I said in an earlier post, it leaves a door wide open for over-zealous safety personnel to make a career out of micro-managing drivers via video clips. I have worked at companies where safety just dreams up rules and goes way overboard with anything safety related to look good to their boss. The idea that this intrusion has a ceiling with the safety office is naive and foolish.

To an earlier point about "If you're not doing anything illegal, what's the big problem?" Would that person be OK with standard procedure for a cop stopping them for something minor, be insisting on searching the vehicle and your cell phone (or anything else FTM), and any available dashcam video you may have?

Well.....IF YOU'RE NOT DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL, WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING, BUDDY....?

The more I watch the video below, the spookier this whole thing looks. They've got this down to science - literally. The video below is from the company's point of concern & no regard for the driver.

In-cab truck camera technology that protect the driver | FE Unscripted - YouTube

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.