Excessively hot air on air compressor discharge???

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Floyd, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Floyd

Floyd Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Central Maine
    "87 Freightliner with a 370 cummins......Holset air compressor.
    The discharge line from the compressor to the air tanks is excessively hot. Hot enough to melt the plastic line coming out of it.......I know the line isn't factory and it was propobly steel braided at one time but it's been plastic for years and never bothered so i'm pretty certain something isn't right.
    Air pressure is good at 120.....according to the gauge.
    Engine temp is good.
    Compressor had been slow to build air for quite some time so I replaced the air compressor thinking that was the issue.....but it still does it.
    Replaced the governor....still does it.
    Cooling lines to the compressor seemed to be fine. At this point i'm thinking maybe a restriction in a line somewhere??
    Also, the purge valve on the drier seems to be malfunctioning which could be part of the issue. Compressor builds air to 120.....compressor cuts out and purge valve dumps but it stays open slightly allowing air to escape for maybe 20-30 seconds, then it will close fully and the compressor will cut in again even though i still have 120 psi.
    Any advice wouild be apreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The compressed air from the compressor will normally be hot enough to burn your hand. That is why the lines are copper or steel braided. Plastic will never work. You are lucky plastic lasted this long. Do not use plastic and switch to copper. The copper is also a great heat dissipater for that hot air. If the air is too hot going into the air dryer you will ruin it. Air dryer normal purge time is about 20-30 seconds in duration. But if it is purging every 30 seconds you have a massive leak in either the wet tank or signal lines betweens the wet tank to the governor, and from the governor to the compressor, governor to the air dryer. Make sure your wet tank isn't leaking big time, this will cause your excessive purging, which causes the compressor to work all the time, this explains your melted plastic discharge line, a big leak also explains your slow build up time. If you find no leak for your slow build up, remove the discharge line at the compressor and run the engine. The discharge air will not be hot yet, feel the air flow with your hand. Remove the fresh air intake pipe from the compressor, (or filter if it has one of the little donut filters), and see if the flow has increased or not. If the same, reinstall intake and discharge and remove the inlet to the air dryer, test again. The flow here will be somewhat the same as at the compressor. If it is a lot lower, something is wrong with the line. If not, continue down the line, remove the air dryer outlet and check again.

4. oilfieldtrash

oilfieldtrash Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Jones,Oklahoma
    You need a compressor discharge line. They are stainless steel braid with a teflon liner. Get the longest one that you can possibly make work. That way the air is cooler when it gets to the dryer or tank. Air that is too hot is bad for the air dryer.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I second that plus I would clean out the dryer, replace the cartridge and because you replaced the governor, see if you have the lines mixed up, that will cause you to have the problem with the unloading of the air compressor take 10 to 30 seconds. The governors are not direct replacements all the time. I had one heck of a time with one of the trucks doing this after I replaced it, once I moved the line from the dryer off one port to another, it worked.

6. Shade Tree

Shade Tree Light Load Member

May 15, 2011
    Galloway Ohio
    That air outline from the compressor needs top be steel or copper. It is against DOD regulations if memory serves me correctly. I am glad you got it corrected. The lines being swapped cause the unloader to work incorrectly.

7. Derrick D&S

Derrick D&S Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Replaced my airdryer seems to run hotter then normal any help would realy be appreciated

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.