Exercise and healthy eating for the OTR truck driver

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by lil daddy, Jan 19, 2007.

1. lil daddy#1

lil daddy#1 <strong>Health Enthusiast</strong>

Aug 12, 2007
    Raleigh,NC
    I 've been so busy for the last few months that I've not had time to post or respond to any questions on health, exercise and nutrition. I'm glad to see that this thread is still going and that my fellow truckers are thinking and talking about good health and exercise. Post your questions and on healthy eating, diet nutrition or exercise and I will respond. Exercise,eat right and stay healthy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I have lost over 20 lbs in a month. I pull a flat now and try to eat healthy. Works for me! Some people pay to go to a gym. My gym pays me $700.00-900.00 a week after everything comes out with weekends off!:biggrin_2559:

IRISHGYPSY Thanks this.
  4. lil daddy#1

Aug 12, 2007
    Raleigh,NC
    20lbs is quite a bit of weight. You must feel great. Exercise can come in alot of ways and getting paid to do so is a bonus. Keep up the good work. Keep us posted on your wieght loss.

5. lifesafight

lifesafight Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    East Orange, NJ
    I going to work for CREngland and I have to leave September 3. I'm really concerned about if I'll have time to work out. I have my resistance band, jump rope, push up bars and yoga mat but will I have time? How do you guys do it
    :?:

6. Johnny.Blaze

Johnny.Blaze Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2007
    New Jersey
    you will have to find/make time for this. it won't be easy and probably hard to do everyday. you have to be creative, like why not at shippers/recievers while your waiting on getting loaded. i stayed in shape by running everyday i was out, it was hard to find time but i made it a priority to do so.

IRISHGYPSY Thanks this.
  7. Attitude:)

Attitude:) "Love each Day as if it was your last"

Jul 13, 2007
    TX NM & CO
    Feeling better since my last post. Am now lifting more each day and have pushed my walk further. I changed up more of my food too, plus added extra protein. The pins and needles have become considerably less and the muscle pain and cramps are now down to my legs only rather than all over. Be careful if your doctor prescribes you any of the quinolone family of antibiotics. Yes, they're good meds when others don't work, but what they dont tell you is they can cause permanent nerve and muscle damage!

Some of them are Cipro, Avelox and Levaquin. The pharm companies hadn't even informed (disclosed) fully to the doctors about the newer ones last time I checked.

IRISHGYPSY Thanks this.
  8. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    AGREED! NOT to change the subject here but this works the same in DOGS too.
    MY ABBY had a terrible sinus infection and the only thing that would cure it after a test on the bacteria was CIPRO.
    The VET did inform us that this antibiotic could do something to her muscle tone if she had to be on it for a long period of time.
    Iam was happy when she only had to have a week of this medication.

9. lifesafight

Jul 15, 2007
    East Orange, NJ
    Some people say they do it b4 they start their day. Any thoughts about that?

10. lil daddy#1

Aug 12, 2007
    Raleigh,NC
    I've found that the best time to get in a workout is early in the morning. During the course of a busy day, it's usually the easiest time to sqeeze in an extra hour or two. It's usually the only time that I can workout undisturbed and at my own pace, it also relaxes me and sets a positive tone for the rest of my day.
    After waking up at 4:30 or 5:00am in the morning and pushing myself through a grueling workout, whatever problems or issues that I deal with during the rest of my day is a piece of cake. Sometimes after a really hectic day, I'll workout in the evenings also. Whatever time your day starts, wakeup an hour earlier and get your workout in, at times it'll be tough but afterwards you'll feel really great. EXERCISE and EAT RIGHT.

IRISHGYPSY Thanks this.
  11. lifesafight

Jul 15, 2007
    East Orange, NJ
    I'm like a newbie so don't be amused by the question but are you able to work out and then shower afterwards? I know the trucking life is unpredictable and you don't know where you'll be all the time.

As for me then I need a push because it seems like my progress is at a stand still. In 2005 I weighted about 240 lbs @ 5'8" and my blood pressure was high. I began working out and it went down without taking meds. Then I stopped working out and in 2006 it went up again. Then I started again and it went down. In November of 2006 I decided that I had enough with the dropping in and out of excercise and healthy eating so I started working out regularly, eating as best as I can and I declared war on fat. The problem is that since 2005 until now I have only lossed and kept of about 20 lbs. I have gained muscle and maybe that's the reason. I lossed alot of belly fat but I still have a alot to loose. I'm even thinking about getting back into the martial arts (Krav Maga). There are some places here in the City that allow you to drop in for a single class for 20 or 25 bucks. I can take a class whenever I'm in town. I'm trying to find ways to be active. I just need some push as feel like I'm stuck and I about to start this trucking job so I'm really worried. It is easy find time for excercise when your unemployed. My diet & excercise can be better but I'm trying my hardest.

IRISHGYPSY Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.