Expedite Companies, Who's the best?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by BKahuna, May 27, 2009.

1. Phat Kat JW

Phat Kat JW Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Trenton, Ohio
    Hello everyone. Its been awhile since I have been posted on here. So I have a several things to say as far as up date and to give some help for those who are considering getting in the expedite business.

First thing is first if you are looking to be home every night I would not be looking in to expedited freight, I would look for a local courier service if you want to be home most nights and weekends.

Secondly if you are wanting to go expedited freight you will need to stay out for three weeks at a time to make some money and then go home for a few days.

Now if you still are considering expedited freight here are some things to you wanna ask of the potential company some general questions. Do you pay for deadhead? Do you pay for empty move from a bad frieght area and if so how long do you have to sit before you can empty move? If they say no to dead head miles then hang up cause its not worth. Dead head pay is the mile to pick up the freight, it will not pay for you gas total, however every lilttle bit helps. Now if they dont for empty move or you have to sit more then 24 hours hang up cause they dont care if you make money. Do you also pay for detention time and when does that start? Do you have lay over pay? How often do you pay? Do you do home time and do you help get a load towards home with in a 100 miles? If they dont check around for another company. Do you do direct deposit? How do we get paid? Do you pay a percentage of load up front for fuel? Do you have a fuel card and if so how much are the fees to use it? Do you have a program for drivers to reward then for meeting so many loads or miles in a given perios and if so what are they? What are the requirements for the program and how often does the driver rewards pay out?

As an owner operator what is the current loaded mile pay and do you also pay fuel surcharge? What is the escrow, what are the charges for insurance on the truck and how much is the qualcom messaging fee to the truck? As a driver what fees will I be charged each week?

Now if you was to drive for a fleet owner ask them if they have a contract and if they dont run from them fast. If they do have a contract ask for a copy of the contract to read what they are resposible and what your ressposabilty is. Ask questions make sure you have a complete understanding of the contract. Make sure they give you a settle for the runs you got paid on so you can match them up on your end to make sure you getting paid properly. Ask them how you will be getting fuel money and will they give you enough to do the load with out worrying if you are gonna have enough gas to finish the load. Ask them what your pay is some will do 40/60 spilt where they pay for the fuel along with maintence and you just get paid for the load miles and any bonuses should be paid to you at 100 percent. Now with the 60/40 split you are responsible for the fuel and the are responsible for the maintence.

JetAgeHobo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Phat Kat JW

Phat Kat JW Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Trenton, Ohio
    As an Owner Operator or Fleet driver it is very important to keep track of all the day on the road as you get $59 per diem for food tax write off at the end of the year. Keep track of all your montly expenses on the road and put them in an evelope to keep track for taxes to write off your expensives. Keep track of your medical exspenses in a seperate envelope as you can use that for at tax write of at the end of the year as well. You will need to find a tax prepare the deals in the trucking industry to help you get as much of the taxes write off by law.

4. BULLPUP

BULLPUP Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Central Kentucky
    I need some advice. I can work for 40% and slpit that with my team driver 20% a piece and the owner pays the fuel and keeps the fuel surcharge.

I have the option of paying for the fuel with my co driver and each of us making 30 % a piece or 60 % of what the truck grosses.

Does anyone have data they are analyzing on the difference?
    What are the tax implications at the end of the year with fuel tax?
    bullpup

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    First the per diem rate is taken at 80% not 100%. Just needed to say that.

Well to the 60/40 split, there are little in tax liabilities involved either way but if you pay for fuel, it is in your settlement and you get to claim it on your taxes. Fuel taxes are tied to the truck and the carrier, so you would need to either learn how to limit the taxes by planning on where to buy fuel or just forget it. The amount I found isn't worth the effort of trying to figure out how to take it out on taxes - but that's me.

6. TennTrucker

TennTrucker Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Dresden, Tn
    Best way to go at this is what type person you are. Do you just want to drive, then the 40/60 split is way to go. But if you like to drive in a way to increase you fuel mileage and watch for best fuel prices and close management of your idle time. The 60/40 split you can make more money.

7. Freak n Cricket

Freak n Cricket Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2013
    u definately dont want Allstate Express!!!!! My husband has been driving for 17 years and allstate was the worst company he ever worked for... I would never recommend this company and for anyone who is better reconsider...

TennTrucker Thanks this.
  8. truthranger

truthranger Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Maybe this was before they cut their pay rates without notice and lost many carriers. When I was there they had a mass exodus due to underhanded tactics. Up to the point of being ripped off we were happy with E-1

9. cheftommyzee

cheftommyzee Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Does anyone know anything about Metro Expedite out of Athens TN.
    I would have to be O/O.
    Do you need special license.
    40 yr old trying to do a career change and possibly going to truck Driving school once I have some $ saved up.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Metro Expedite out of Athens, TN is a great company to work with from an outside carrier's point of view. I've done several loads for them that they brokered out to us. Their equipment is all clean, late model stuff. They look like company trucks. You'd do well to learn the industry before even thinking about buying a truck. Some people say a year driving someone else's truck. I say much longer. It's not rocket science but it's also not as easy as it looks. Failure rate is very high. Mostly due to undercapitalization and mismanagement.

11. truthranger

truthranger Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2014
    I am not certain. I have 3 straight trucks on the road. I have 1 with Landstar, 1 with Try Hours, and just signed one on with Meadow Lark.
    I intend to move all of them to the company that can keep the trucks moving and making money. The jury is still out. I want to expand the fleet but am waiting on the verdict.
    Try Hours is good, but loads seem to be sporadic, lots of sitting. Landstar started out great, then sitting. Maybe drivers are choosing bad loads?
    I just got signed on with Meadow Lark, waiting for the 1st load. Seems like we might be waiting too long.
    Will keep you informed on my findings.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.