Expedited Van Services

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by brinkj23, Sep 7, 2008.

1. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Just wondering how one gets into the expediting stuff, you know the ones where you just drive a regular van around or one of them freightliner sprinters. Any companies that do this stuff or is that all owner op type thing? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Google expediter forums . I can tell you there is a`surplus of vans in the industry . The major companies (FedEX Custom Critical , Panther) use all O/O's but many O/O's are fleet owners that own several trucks and hire drivers . These are straight trucks . There is not enough revenue from a cargo van to allow an owner plus a driver to earn decent income . Fleet owners prefer teams with Hazmat endorsement and ability to run Canada . Some do hire solos without hazmat though .

4. honor roll

honor roll Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NW OHIO
    I want to drive cargo van I have my Class C Is there anyone out there that is hiring and what kind of money will I make?

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    There are fleet owners out there that hire drivers for straight truck but hiring a driver for a cargo van wouldn't be worthwhile for the driver or the owner . Almost all cargo vans are owner/operated . Rates are less than a dollar a mile and there is a glut of cargo vans in the industry .
    This is a bad time anyway because the fourth quarter is always very slow .
    Several of the larger carriers are not even hiring cargo vans on ?
    You might consider hotshotting with a dually pickup and your own authority .
    No CDL needed if you stay under 26,000 lbs. gvwr and business is better there than at expediting with comparative rates .

6. honor roll

honor roll Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NW OHIO
    I talked with Panther all I have to do is get my Haz Mat I was just wondering what it is like to do this kind of a job don't you have to have a B or A to drive strieght truck?

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You need a CDL B for over 26,000 lbs. which most of their straight trucks are . The ones that run cargo vans do so because with a 10,000 lbs. GVWR they are exempt from HOS except when hauling hazmat . Run all the hours you want (if the loads are there) and manage your breaks any way you want .
    Expedite loads are time critical . That means when a load is accepted you are expected to roll immediately . You may wait 2 or more days between loads never knowing when that load's coming .

honor roll Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.