Experience...Does It Really Matter Anymore?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Farmboi85, Sep 3, 2022.

1. MaineRoad96

MaineRoad96 Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2022
    But they are putting emphasis on retention. If you're making around $0.60 CPM base pay doing OTR reefer and dry van work for a W2 company, where else are you going to go that's going to pay more? They are retaining you because they're already paying you the industry average wage.

Look, I believe OTR drivers with 2+ years experience who are out 9-10 months out of the year should be grossing 100k per year. Hopefully we get to that number eventually as an industry average. I am certainly not arguing against better pay and better working conditions.

My post was only talking about what the market conditions support and right now, in general, the market conditions do not support paying 100k per year for OTR drivers doing reefer and dry van work.

If you are worried about your pay, a forum member posted in the Shaffer Thread that he made 100k in 1 year's time and he posted his paystub. This was just a few days ago so you don't have to go back to far in that thread to find it. If you're worried about your pay then there's an option for you. But no you're not going to make more than the driver with 2+ years experience just because you have 20+ years experience. It's still six figures though, so while your ego might take a blow at least you'll be making good money.

Or you can go to LTL. But guess what, LTL isn't going to pay you any more than the driver fresh out of the "Dock To Driver" Program with no CDL driving experience. You're both going to be starting at the bottom of the barrel. But guess what, you can probably run extraboard and gross 100k per year. So while your ego might take a blow because the Dock To Driver Program driver will be making just as much as you, at least you'll be making good money.

I guess I'm trying to say the money is out there in trucking if you're not happy where you're at. But market conditions are going to dictate that you're going to have to do something other than no touch freight OTR reefer or dry van work, that's just the way it is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Companies have done a lot to address retention. Drivers don't stick around because it's a lifestyle most can't handle. A company can't make it appeal to prospective drivers. It'd be nice if a driver of 20 plus years experience could get paid as such, but companies only have so much to spend on payroll. A lot of costs involved in operating a company..

4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Because the driver with 20 years experience is generating the same revenue when the truck is rolling as the window licker with months experience..
    It's just that simple
    As said earlier .. this is not rocket science.. all you need is common sense ..just get from point A to point B .. with out F...ing something up
    You really don't get bonus pay anymore for having commen sense
    Society has dictated that with the laws passed by governments & court ruling that protect snowflakes and dumba###

5. peabody747

peabody747 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2022
    I imagine it's probably health related also, no matter what shape your in the longer you in trucking the more your body deteriorates. I would much rather replace me with a 20 year old vs another fat ### like me

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Generating the same revenue is the number one answer. You know something, people get so hung up on cpm but it's really the best workers that will get the best miles or runs at a company, particularly smaller ones. If a driver has reliability and availability, then he or she will make the money they desire. Driver A making 55 cpm can gross more than Driver B making 65. It all depends on the company and his R and A.

7. Farmboi85

Farmboi85 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2022
    Guys, I'm really not trying to come off as that "salty old hand", so I apologize if I am. Everything evolves, and I get that. I just miss some of the attributes that trucking use to have. I'm not that old at all, but I'm old school. I know it sounds like I'm just ranting, but that really isn't my aim at all

8. 15YROTRSURVIVOR

15YROTRSURVIVOR Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2022
    I've been out here 15 years and I'm still struggling to me barely above student and pay

9. No_worries

No_worries Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2015
    From someone who had 20 years as a company driver, leased, independent, and fleet owner, I guess the question is, why do you deserve higher pay than the 2-year driver? If the only answer is, "I've been in the business longer" then there's the problem. Longevity, in and of itself, doesn't mean much and, as pointed out earlier, has negative implications in terms of employee health and availability. Having only one or two employers in that time versus 10, is usually seen as a positive, but rarely warrants higher starting pay.

Are you a safer driver? Maybe, but insurance statistics don't bear that out. Broadly speaking, a driver with 2 years of experience is as safe as more experienced drivers. In fact, there comes a point where safety actually declines. Can you do the job better? Maybe, but it's a simply job and the difference between someone who does it well and someone who is just competent is pretty neglible. Maybe you're easy to work with or willing to go the extra mile or take better care of the equipment; but how is a prospective employer supposed to know that in advance...take your word for it?

New employers will rarely value you like you believe they should and rightly so in many cases. Most people overvalue their own worth. However, if you're right in your assessment of your own value then you have to do the legwork to get compensated. As others have mentioned, moving into an area that requires more expertise is readily available today for experienced drivers. LTL, tanker work, even heavy haul all have loosened up hiring requirements so you no longer need previous experience in that area. There are also companies out there who do value a guy more once he has proven to be a cut above. This requires a little more due diligence than most are willing to undertake, but is often worth the work to uncover those hidden gems. It also requires the ability to read people because there are alot of B.S. artists out there just telling you what they think you want to hear. Of course, you can always work for the one boss who always values you as much as you do...yourself.

10. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    what extra knowledge and expertise do you gain from puilling a box for 20 vs 2 years
    i cant think of much

11. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I never liked the idea of seniority pay.

If a driver that has driven 2 years OTR with 200,000 - 250,000 mile experience, has never had any incidents, accidents, violations, or failed inspections, he has earned top pay. If a driver with 15 years experience has a history of problems, then he warrants the pay his history shows.

Sure those are two extremes, but my point is one's worth needs to be based on merit, not time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.