Experience Doesn’t Mean Anything After 3 Years Off The Road

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by lkeilitz1989, Nov 5, 2023.

1. lkeilitz1989

lkeilitz1989 Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2023
    My name is Logan Keilitz and I’m here to seek some advice about getting back on the road. I worked from 2010-2019 OTR hauling vans, reefer, flatbed and tanks. In October, 2019 my youngest son Anthony was born 3 months early due to some serious complications with my Wife that threatened both of their lives. As you can imagine, I didn’t hesitate to throw in the towel and be present for my family. Knowing I would be working locally I decided to downgrade my CDL because FL was saying I had to if I wasn’t planning to do CDL work.

In 2021 I attempted to upgrade back to a CDL but was told I needed to basically start over school again. I reluctantly decided to go through a refresher program that CRST was offering. I did not have any intention on driving teams so when they told me a dedicated solo position they offered me was no longer available after the course, I called up Prime. Prime brought me in under the condition that I had to go through a 30,000mi training phase! The trainer they assigned me was greener than a leprechaun and wanted to act like he knew everything, we didn’t work out and I ended up taking another non-CDL job at home.

My DOT card lapsed back in April causing my CDL to be “disqualified” so I downgraded it again. Nov. 3rd I paid nearly $300 to do a new DOT physical and reinstate my CDL. I have been filling out applications all weekend. Only two companies have contacted me so far. U.S. Xpress told me they can’t hire me until the disqualification is 1 year old and I am currently waiting for Roehl to call me back tomorrow with/without an offer.

I have probably put out nearly 50 applications so, hopefully someone will give me a chance but it seems like insurance policies are to blame here. How is it that a nearly 10 year veteran driver can have such a hard time getting hired but these companies will take fresh meat all day? I have experience with 9, 10, 13, and 18 speed tractors. I have hauled tankers in the oilfield, hauled van/reefer in every condition imaginable, and hauled flatbeds with coils, lumber, and oversized. Yet, these companies would rather hire a fresh student driver than consider any of my experience as valid.

If anyone has had a similar experience or might be able to point me in the right direction I’d love to hear your story or advice! Thank you all for all you do and I hope to be back out there ASAP, hopefully not as a “new driver” lol!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you voluntarily downgrade your cdl? If so, why?
    Florida can't force you to downgrade.
    Your CDL is good now, right?

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where are you in Florida? Nearest town/city?

lkeilitz1989 Thanks this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The overall CDL market is depressed right now, anyway. Thus -- companies across the board have pretty much tightened their hiring requirements.

So...it's not necessarily you -- it's the market out there....for now.

With that said -- some questions, to help you better:
    • Where in Florida are you located?
    • What endorsements do you have? Do you now have hazmat?
    • How old are you?
    • What's your driving record like? Accidents? Incidents? Citations?
    • What's your criminal history like (if any)?
    • How long can you stay out? Monthly? Weekly? Or less?
    • How much exp do you have with tanker?
    -- L

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  7. lkeilitz1989

Nov 5, 2023
    Yes my CDL and Medical are good now. I live in Gainesville, FL. I did voluntarily downgrade after my CDL was disqualified because at the time I was not planning to use it. The DMV/Tax Collector here in Gainesville told me that if I was not engaged in CDL work I had to downgrade lol! Luckily, this time I only had to pay $75 for reinstatement and $125 for my new medical.

The other issue I’m facing is only having 4 months OTR in the last 3 years. There are a few companies I’ve applied to that look at the last 5 years but I’m waiting to hear back from them during business hours.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. lkeilitz1989

Nov 5, 2023
    I have my Tanker endorsement, never had Hazmat. I have a clean MVR and no criminal record. I am 34yrs old. I am willing to stay out 4 weeks home 4 days or similar.

austinmike Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think you have to live within 100 miles for this job.
    Truck Driving Jobs | Dot Transportation, Inc.
    This is a great job for a married man that wants decent hometime.
    Jacksonville
    6100 Gilchrist Rd
    Jacksonville, FL 32219

~
    Ocala
    55 SW 52nd Ave
    Ocala, Fl 34474

10. lkeilitz1989

Nov 5, 2023
    I was just contacted by Hurricane Express, they are currently processing my application and may be able use my experience back to 2018. I was a lease-operator before my son was born in 2019 so that could be a decent option if they are willing. Do you know much about their reputation? I know they have some really nice equipment.

Chinatown and austinmike Thank this.
  11. lkeilitz1989

Nov 5, 2023
    Nice! I’ll apply for this right now! Thank you very much!

austinmike and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.