Experience with new SCR engines?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Oram, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    I wish you would say something different. I really like the new KW T680, but it seems for business purpose I have to buy Cascadia with DD15. A 2014 Cascadia Evolution. The same spec what they used for the fuel economy test, except the Detroit automated transmission. I will go with Eaton direct drive manual.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    personally id go with a Coronado, DD16, 13 speed manual.

4. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Call me crazy but consider a Argosy or Coronado glider with a 12.7 Detroit. They export them to Canada.

KH

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  5. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Id be willing to bet an argosy with a detroit pre-egr would probably get 8+ MPG or maybe even higher with the right gearing and transmission choice

The Challenger Thanks this.
  6. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    No, you are not crazy, but I will not go with glider. Also I am looking for a the best aerodynamic truck. I am a steering wheel holder.:biggrin_25526:

7. The Challenger

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    If you are looking for the best Aero truck, get a KW T700 with a cummins 485ST and a 13spd. Should be able to get great results.

KH

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  8. The Challenger

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Amen to that. I have done some research on spec'ing trucks and read stories. Those trucks designed for effiency already have it made from the get go. Now stick in the proper engine, rears and tranny. Good to go.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  9. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    Actually I like T680 better, and also it is 7% more aerodynamic. But it seems Cummins and after treatment have more problems, the DD15 a slightly better on fuel and DEF. Also I'll go crazy with the fuel economy. It includes the Meritor Fuelite tandem (6X2), which is not options with Kenworth.

10. The Challenger

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Oram,

Seven percent is mostly your doing. By doing aftermarket options such as Microblue treatments (tranny, rears, etc), full fairings, super-singles, and driver techniques can contribute to 7%. Dice1 has proven this. I'm not saying the DD15 is a bad engine. I think it is on even par with the cummins. Now I read about the fuellite tandem and I will call my local KW dealer to find out if you can spec it with it. If that were to mean the diffrence between the T680 and the Cascadia, I am sure KW would find a way to accomodate you.

11. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    I think the T680's aerodynamic comparable to the Cascadia Evolution and I am still pushing Kenworth to give answer why they do not have the Fuelite as an option, also for the price, if I want it anyway. No answer yet. I did not give up on the T680 yet, but as for now the Cascadia seems the smarter choice. As for the fuel saving I know I am the #1 factor, but trust me, I do my best. But the fuel economy is huge thing. Last year I spent 60,000$ on fuel. If one of the trucks uses 5% less fuel, it is 3,000$/year. Enough to take my wife for a vacation. Every year. It is 45,000$ in the next 15 years. I am ready to pay the extra 10,000$ extra on the T680 over the Cascadia, but I can not justify 55,000$.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.